Stock Header Turbo Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Header Turbo Build

Inexpensive, no intercooler. Currently 7 psi and very reliable.

looks awful, but as long as it works.

Comment

not meant to be pretty, just efficient. Besides, thats what a hood is for.
      Last edited by Esprit; 03-28-2010, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Your bypass valve is backwards.

Comment

thanks for letting me know about the BOV. Didnt even realize. I just fixed it.

Comment

Have you run it yet? how do you find it. I would think that the exhauts manifold is going to knock on the inner guard like crazy.
            - Chris
            Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Originally posted by Esprit View Post
              not meant to be pretty, just efficient. Besides, thats what a hood is for.
              nothing efficient about that setup. You're losing a lot of heat with that manifold design right there. props though.

what are you doing for management?
              '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
              NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
              Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

The efficiency comes from the equal length pipes of the stock header, as opposed to a "log" style manifold. The flow is far more efficient, even if there are heat losses. The idea was to be inexpensive also, so we didnt have to buy a manifold or fabricate one.

Comment

Chris-we moved the engine towards the drivers side with different engine mounts and it was just enough room to clear. after running the car for about two months now, the header has dented the inner guard enough so that it doesnt hit.

Comment

Looks like a cheap build. Have you done anything internal i.e. rods, pistons?

Comment

The build is well under $1000.00. I believe for us it was approx $700.00, but we had a 92 saab turbo that we took the turbo and injectors from. The price does include an entire 2.5 in diam. stainless exhaust; no cat and muffler is not stainless.

The engine is completely stock. I have to emphasize that using the saab 22.4lb injectors was a VERY important part of the tuning process, otherwise you would have to purchase a rather expensive begi rrfpr or equivalent. When time permits an AFR will be fitted to ensure proper ratio.

I would like to point out to Jaxx, that if he believes that this set-up is inefficient, that Porsche must have screwed up when they designed the 944 turbo. their turbo feed pipes are much longer. This holds true for many very sucessful factory/independently built street and track cars. One must also consider some of the remote turbo systems as well. Although I don't like them, they do work well.
                      Last edited by Esprit; 05-11-2010, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Esprit View Post
                        I would like to point out to Jaxx, that if he believes that this set-up is inefficient, that Porsche must have screwed up when they designed the 944 turbo. their turbo feed pipes are much longer. This holds true for many very sucessful factory/independently built street and track cars. One must also consider some of the remote turbo systems as well. Although I don't like them, they do work well.
                        :roll: I wasn't trying to offend you, but heat is energy. If you want your exhaust gasses to cool, that's fine, but don't expect it to be better than if you were to shorten the manifold. That was my point. If you were to say economic I think I would have understood your goal a bit better. and you could at wrap it if you didn't care too much about longevity.
                        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                          what are you doing for management?
                          Flickr
                          Originally posted by Indecline06
                          For some reason, when I get super duper ultra stoned... The M30 motor reminds me of big bird from sesame street.

Comment

Hmmm. Interesting.

I bet it makes that radiator hot as fuck.

At least it was cheap.

Comment

I think this experiment is going to inspire a multitude of typical e30 m42 guys. We've seen these pics over at m42club and it's by far the most practical and functional setup to have been presented by anyone anywhere. I think the integration of the SAAB APC setup could make it even better.

Comment

Working...
                              X