what engine to turbo??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what engine to turbo??

I did some searching and didnt come up with anything, (maybe didnt look hard enough). Anyway im just looking for some knowledge for a future project. Im wondering what would be the best engine to turbo?

An m20?
    M30?
    M5x?
    S5x?
    I was leaning toward an m30 for a swap because they look as if they belong in the e30 but is this a good engine to turbo? or one of the other choices?

And what reliable power ranges would i be looking at for an m30 turbo? as well as the others?

Thanks

All of them.

Comment

I would really like to do the m30 swap. Iv read that the m30's dont have large valves and having a 12v head are somewhat hard to force air through. Would the m30 be any easy candidate for a turbo? What kind of power would I be looking to make out of it (reliably)?

Comment

Comment

m42

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

which m30 would be best to turbo? b34? or b35? Ive read that the b35 is an easier swap into the e30?

Comment

Originally posted by tfritz View Post
              which m30 would be best to turbo? b34? or b35? Ive read that the b35 is an easier swap into the e30?
              I don't know anything about the m30s, but I don't see why one would be easier...

also, I'd boost an M5x over an m30.
              1997 540i/6 - stock
              1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
              1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

m30 is such a great period correct looking engine swap... seems so at home in the engine bay... and readily grits its teeth and takes whatever you throw at it with little more than some arp's.. look at some of the boosted m30 builds for reference. It's the only engine that I would ever replace my boosted m20 with honestly, the m5x's just have no apeal to me and any other engines I'd consider don't make sense over an m20/m30 cost/power wise.

M30's are beastly, m5x's have such minimal gains over m20's I just don't get the point of the swap... the marginal power gains remind me of honda tuner engine swaps honestly. Engine swaps to gain 20hp=dumb. engine swaps to gain 1 liter dsplacement... rock on, that's something I can work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Harvey View Post
                  m30 is such a great period correct looking engine swap... seems so at home in the engine bay... and readily grits its teeth and takes whatever you throw at it with little more than some arp's.. look at some of the boosted m30 builds for reference. It's the only engine that I would ever replace my boosted m20 with honestly, the m5x's just have no apeal to me and any other engines I'd consider don't make sense over an m20/m30 cost/power wise.

M30's are beastly, m5x's have such minimal gains over m20's I just don't get the point of the swap... the marginal power gains remind me of honda tuner engine swaps honestly. Engine swaps to gain 20hp=dumb. engine swaps to gain 1 liter dsplacement... rock on, that's something I can work with.
                  minimal gains over an m20? c'mon. You should know better than that... the m5x motors breath MUCH better and make far more power on less boost than m20s. I'm boosting an m20 for cost reasons only... I can replace an m20 for $50, can't say the same for an m50.
                  1997 540i/6 - stock
                  1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                  1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

m30 ftw. makes more hp then the m50 and m52. far cheaper than an s motor. 1 whole liter more. 9 to 1 C.R. The answer is obv. Just wish it was DOHC

The Build:
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

The truth is that it doesn't matter that much - it changes the point on the efficiency map because of flow, but some turbos PREFER to run at higher pressures at a given flow

flow is what dictates horsepower. Making much more than 400rwhp starts to require internal upgrades regardless of engine. I don't think it matters all that much tbh.

FWIW, I'm building an M30 turbo.
                      '89 335is +turbo

Comment

For a low cost setup I would suggest the M30. 300+rwhp is easily done on a stock M30 and the torque is what makes it even better.
                        Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
                          For a low cost setup I would suggest the M30. 300+rwhp is easily done on a stock M30 and the torque is what makes it even better.
                          He has spoken
                          85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

Working...
                          X