No announcement yet.

M42 turbo fact thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi to all fellow m42 e30 owners. i got a question to u who had gone through the process of rebuild. i'm following bentleys manual and i cant locate where does a part numb 1111 1734667 go.it's a non return valve and it should go together with a spacer numb 1111 1739185. bentley says it goes in the hole in the block but it cant fit there. i wonder if anyone knows the solution

Comment

Our e30 m42s do not have that. Its only on e36 m42s.

Comment

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
        I believe they are a different size than the early m42 lifters. I saw it in an m42club thread. ill check again to verify.

Thanks for the pn, nick!
        They never make it simple do they? Too bad they arent interchangable.

I would be curious to know which heads got the smaller lifters!
        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
          Our e30 m42s do not have that. Its only on e36 m42s.

i though that too. when i had put on the new headgasket there was no groove for the non return valve, but i ve searched for this part through realoem
          and thats were i found it. is that site even trustworty

Comment

E36 heads have 6mm valve stems 'v' the E30 heads which are 7mm, maybe this is just some confusion between valve stem size and lifter size. This is the first time I'd heard for there being different sized lifters between the two.
            - Chris
            Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

second post

http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=2320.0

No idea where he got his info from..

Comment

So the rumors about the m42 sitting at the same angle as m/s5x motors is true. Bought a trans brace from gunmetalgrey and it fits perfectly.

Comment

So if you were looking to build a reliable m42 turbo to make 200-250whp, what components would you use to do it. Say you were budget minded but wanted to do it right.
                  sigpic

Comment

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=259174

Comment

Head studs and a fresh gasket. Standalone ecu.

As long as the tune is spot on you shouldn't have an issue with stock compression or pistons. What will become an issue is when you wan to turn it up more :)
                      - Chris
                      Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

I was thinking about getting a little more in depth than head studs and a tune. I was looking at a budget of around $3k including an engine refresh. I'd really like to be closer to the 250 whp range.

I want something that won't have me thinking I should have just thrown in an s52 and called it a day.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willworkfore30s View Post
                          I was thinking about getting a little more in depth than head studs and a tune. I was looking at a budget of around $3k including an engine refresh. I'd really like to be closer to the 250 whp range.

I want something that won't have me thinking I should have just thrown in an s52 and called it a day.
                          What do you mean more in depth? You can rebuild the bottom end if you want to factory spec if you are budget minded. If you want to spend some coin just because you should first spend on lower compression pistons, and then upgraded rods if you really want to.

No amount of engine building can save you from a crappy tune. For whatever reason people seem to overlook that and think some magic array of parts will protect from a poor tune. This is not the case.

Getting a quality turbo is one of the best places to spend your money. Youll get so much more out of this than buying needless engine internals.
                          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I have no problem using the stock internals as long as they will reliably hold up to my power goals assuming I have a good tune.

The motor I want to use has around 160k on it but I ran it very low oil a while back because I didn't get the oil canister lid sealed on very well. Now it is eating some oil but seems to run fine. Have taken it on a couple 4+ hr trips since then and drive it almost every day.

I thought I would tear it down and possibly get it re-honed with new rings. Maybe o-ring the block and get the head refreshed. I was planning to looking to upgrades to things like the valves and lifters. I am at the beginning of my research for this project.

I don't have it all figured out yet. I just know I want around 250 reliable hp and I want to learn about turbo's. The less money it takes to get there, the better but I'd like to stay under $3k if possible. I like the kit that was linked but would like a little more power and the manifold seems a bit restrictive with those t's.
                            sigpic

Comment

You can easily hit that power level on stock internals, although replacing the bearings, rings, and giving it a hone is an excellent idea. Thats basically what I did on mine.

I agree the manifold with Jakes kit leaves a lot to be desired. I would much prefer to use one from Otis (Good&Tight).

Upgrading the valves and lifters will not be a good bang for the buck honestly. Put that money into engine management, turbo & tune to get the best results.
                              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

What would you suggest for engine management? Standalone can get expensive quick it seems.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X