No announcement yet.

M42 turbo fact thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah standalone gets fairly expensive quick and can be overwhelming for some people. On the other hand, with a turbo setup....its really the only way to have good control of the engine.

The other legit option is to have someone with experience in the matter make you a custom chip tune. Barrie from midnight tuning can offer this I believe.

FWIW, Im setting up my engine with VEMS which was the best system for the price I could find.
    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I'm fairly handy but this will be my first time messing with a turbo set up. Thats one of the big reasons I'm doing it. I want to learn. I am up to the challenge of standalone I believe. I do have a bit of concern though because the closet tuning shops are at least 45 minutes away. I'll look into VEMS.

Has anyone done a twin scroll set up on an m42 that any of you know of?
      Last edited by willworkfore30s; 07-18-2013, 05:58 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

I dont think so. With the small amount of us with turbo m42s theres not much demand for manifolds. From a business point of view it doesnt make sense to spend resourses designing something that one or two guys might buy. Do some research on manifolds and design one yourself. If you want to learn about turbo systems you might as well learn it all. Amirite?

And a 45 minute drive is nothing. Here on monster isle its 4 hours to the nearest tuner. Theres a dyno but its owned by some headershop, they cannot fucking weld, and charge $120 for 3 runs.

As far the standalone goes, blueapplesoda build pnp ms system. 800 bucks or so

Comment

I dont think so. With the small amount of us with turbo m42s theres not much demand for manifolds. From a business point of view it doesnt make sense to spend resourses designing something that one or two guys might buy. Do some research on manifolds and design one yourself. If you want to learn about turbo systems you might as well learn it all. Amirite?
          I didn't mean does anyone produce a kit. I mean has anyone built a twin scroll m42 that I might could glean some knowledge from. I have done some research on it and it seems like the m42 could be a great candidate for it. Quick spooling and power in the lower rpm range is what the m42 is severely lacking.

My main concern is whether the juice is worth the squeeze. Are the gains significant enough to be worth the added cost it takes to due a proper twin scroll set up. In reading about its advantages it sounds like the way to go but I just wonder what it translates to in reality when compared to a single scroll set up on an m42.

I also wonder about fitting two waste gates and a turbo under the hood. I'd like to keep a/c (well, assuming I can get a/c working) and not have to cut a hole in the hood.

And is it worth it when my power goal is only 250hp?
          sigpic

Comment

For 250whp twin scroll is definitely not worth it. Any properly sized turbo for that power level will spool very quickly.

On the new BorgWarner EFR series turbos, the twin scroll turbine housing option was dropped because it did not provide any real benefit and just added to complexity.

If you want to see a nice twin scroll turbo manifold for M42 look up Bonje PPF. Be prepared to read Swedish or just look at pictures. :)

Honestly any DBB (or even journal bearing) T25 turbo will spool lightning quick and give any power you need. A T25 from a Nissan or the GT2860RS would be a great widely available turbo that could meet your goals.
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
              Honestly any DBB (or even journal bearing) T25 turbo will spool lightning quick and give any power you need. A T25 from a Nissan or the GT2860RS would be a great widely available turbo that could meet your goals.
              this

Im running a gt2871rs Garret BB turbo from an S15 Sr20det. It begins building boost at 2300 rpm

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
              Ig:ryno_pzk
              I like the tuna here.
              Originally posted by lambo
              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Great info guys. It would be awesome to build an elaborate twin scroll set up. But if its not worth it, its not worth it.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                  this

Im running a gt2871rs Garret BB turbo from an S15 Sr20det. It begins building boost at 2300 rpm
                  Great info!
                  -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by willworkfore30s View Post
                    I didn't mean does anyone produce a kit. I mean has anyone built a twin scroll m42 that I might could glean some knowledge from. I have done some research on it and it seems like the m42 could be a great candidate for it. Quick spooling and power in the lower rpm range is what the m42 is severely lacking.
                    I wasnt referring to a kit. As far as i know Jakes kit is the first for m42. Just saying that not many people upgrade their m42. I only know of Otis(goodntight) that will build you a manifold and vac can build you one. I believe vac reproduces the 666 fab design. both are single scroll.

Just got off the phone with Jim from MM and got some info on his cams and lifters. He explained their lifters are shimmed to about 8psi over stock oil pressure so they will take 8000rpm. Cams are 258˚ 11.15mm lift. Cams are $550 a piece with a $250 core charge. I asked if he would do a group buy and he said he would go down a little in price if i had a few people. Wouldnt be that much but saving money is saving money. However, He did say he doesnt recommend using them without MM valve springs because of seat to nose pressure ratio. Their design has very little nose pressure compared to shrick, catcams, etc. He explained all the testing theyve done over the years and said that he feels they are most advanced when it comes to cams. They no longer use the beehive by the way. Switched to a dual spring.

That man is full of information.

He also said he prefers the m42 over the e36 m3 and talked about how fat bmws are now and how fun the e30 is. :nice:

I have also been in contact with VAC about cams and their supposed to be emailing me all the specs and a quote for them. Ill post those when i get them.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
                        Thank you strypt. Looks like I might be tearing her down completely..

So just to make sure i dont screw this up, e36 328/m3 zf transmission. Is there a model name for it? like g240, g260, etc. That with an m20 flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. 323i TOB.

Is the 328 e36 driveshaft longer and does it bolt up to our differential?

EDIT: did some research and found that the 318 TOB and 325 TOB are both 1-15/16". trying to find an m20 flywheel to test on it.
                        Oups, I missed this one, sorry.
                        The ZF transmission you want to use is called S5D 320Z. AFAIK the 328 E36 driveshaft is a little bit shorter than 318is but the output flange on the ZF is bigger so that's why you need it. It bolts up to all E30 differentials. M3E36 US-version probably fits aswell unless they are using a CV-joint to the diff like the M3E36 Euro?

Comment

I wasnt referring to a kit. As far as i know Jakes kit is the first for m42. Just saying that not many people upgrade their m42. I only know of Otis(goodntight) that will build you a manifold and vac can build you one. I believe vac reproduces the 666 fab design. both are single scroll.

Just got off the phone with Jim from MM and got some info on his cams and lifters. He explained their lifters are shimmed to about 8psi over stock oil pressure so they will take 8000rpm. Cams are 258˚ 11.15mm lift. Cams are $550 a piece with a $250 core charge. I asked if he would do a group buy and he said he would go down a little in price if i had a few people. Wouldnt be that much but saving money is saving money. However, He did say he doesnt recommend using them without MM valve springs because of seat to nose pressure ratio. Their design has very little nose pressure compared to shrick, catcams, etc. He explained all the testing theyve done over the years and said that he feels they are most advanced when it comes to cams. They no longer use the beehive by the way. Switched to a dual spring.

That man is full of information.

He also said he prefers the m42 over the e36 m3 and talked about how fat bmws are now and how fun the e30 is.

I have also been in contact with VAC about cams and their supposed to be emailing me all the specs and a quote for them. Ill post those when i get them.
                          Would love to help you get a lower price by joining your group buy but there is no way I can spend $1200 on the top end alone right now. That would go a long way to a low pressure turbo set up. I did luck across a wrecked car for $550 with a 10k mile drivetrain in it so that will help me get a jump start by avoiding rebuild time and costs. I will probably just start with a low pressure set up on a basically stock motor as a base and build it as I get money.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by strypt View Post
                            Oups, I missed this one, sorry.
                            The ZF transmission you want to use is called S5D 320Z. AFAIK the 328 E36 driveshaft is a little bit shorter than 318is but the output flange on the ZF is bigger so that's why you need it. It bolts up to all E30 differentials. M3E36 US-version probably fits aswell unless they are using a CV-joint to the diff like the M3E36 Euro?
                            FWIW, with either ZF320 or G250 no E30 or E36 driveline is the correct length.

The G250 is the closest to fitting with the E30 M42 driveshaft. You have to use spacers in the trans flange though to reduce the hole size from 12mm to 10mm. The driveshaft is a bit too long, but apparently some people have made it fit. I removed the adjustment nut and choked the driveshaft all the way up, but it still didnt fit for me length wise.

I have a ZF in there now, but the 87 eta driveshaft with the bigger flange is too short and I need to send it out to be lengthened.

Just a heads up for anyone who is interested in fitting one of the E36 transmissions.
                            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Correct length - No
                              Usable length - Yes. M3E30 or 328 E36 will work albeit with only ~20 mm spline engagement. This is only true if you are using the 188 diff as the nose on that diff is longer than the 168 originally fitted to the 318. I wouldn't use this driveshaft if I were to dragrace my car but for street and trackdays it works fine. This is what I have been using the last couple of years and it is also what Bonje is using. Although his car havent been used much.

By the way, I guess this is the current leader in M42 power?

Comment

Thanks for the info! I guess I could just do as you have done and expose more of the splines on the driveshaft if I have to. I could weld extension tabs to the CSB to move it forward.

Bonjes car is the one that got me interested in the M42 for a turbo motor.
                                -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Working...
                                X