does no one care about rod ratio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does no one care about rod ratio?

building up strokers and using e-rods, etc....

i dont think most go lower than the b18c's, but still. a factor no one cares about or considers.

maybe it's a non-issue.....but oh well.

Beggers can't be choosers Robert. I don't think its much of a consideration for those trying to build strokers for like $500.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

it's just not that much of an issue with the m20.

i: 1.8:1
      eta: 1.6:1

comparatively, my last vw 16v used a passat block with a 1.55:1 ratio and that was still good for 7800rpm. if you want revs, worry about the top end...
      past:
      1989 325is (learner shitbox)
      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
      1985 323i baur
      current:
      1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

i know the eta may be "acceptable" but it's still not as rev happy of a ratio. you can get to 1.56 and below with s50/s52 cranks (i rods), but stroker beasts are more about grunt than top end anyway.

oh well. still not even close to a b20-vtec i guess.

i'd still prefer a screaming m50 non-vanos because there's a reason bmw shortened the stroke for the b25

Comment

one thing you're forgetting is with a lower ratio (i.e. in the 1.5 range) you get a lot more wear. from what I've read you want something between 1.6-1.9, with 1.5 being too low.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i didn't forget, that's the whole reason i mentioned it. people are trying to build up high performacne strokers to make power, yet they are decreasing the rod ratio which reduces wear, especially at high rpms. I'm curious if anyone running a stroker hard has had longevity issues.

if you want to be running at the top end and not wear your engine too bad, a good rod ratio is a strong point. like a m50 screamer rather than m20 stroker.

1.75 is ideal. m20 is giving up a little power-making to be really revable (bottom-end wise).

Comment

maybe 1.75 is ideal but 1.66 isn't too far off. although when I build my stroker I don't think I'm going to use an ETA crank anyway.. we'll see.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385
                1.75 is ideal.
                it's not, really, when your head can't reliably take over 7000rpm without significant further investment.

if the head can't go any higher than that, why not use a bottom end setup that makes more power in the rpm range you _can_ use?

there is no "magic number" for rod:stroke, it's a tradeoff like everything else.
                past:
                1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:
                1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

/nail on head

Comment

Originally posted by screamingbmwe30
                    /nail on head
                    Do you ever add anything to the threads you post in?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

so it's just a non-issue

Comment

I don't care.
                        Current Cars
                        2014 M235i
                        2009 R56 Cooper S
                        1998 M3
                        1997 M3

Comment

Do you ever add anything to the threads you post in?

i dont know. you seem to be paying more attention to what i post than i do for some reason? I'd rather lurk and read the arguments and agree to the most intelligent response since im not smart enough to have my own opinion. if youll check some of my other posts in here you would see. it doesnt really matter anyway. Furthermore should you not have pm'ed this to me isntead of putting it in this thread. I would have pmed this to you, but i never add anything to the threads i post in so why not. oh wait a second /....
                          I don't care.
                          you going to jump on daves nuts too? to answer your question yes. when i see fit

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN
                            I don't care.
                            Will
                            RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                            Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                            DaveCN = Old Man
                            My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                            If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Of course I care about Rod ratio... thats why when I built my motor instead of using the M52B28 rods with my M52B28 crank... I used M40B18 rods... much better rod ratio

Just don't ask me what it is... cause I can't remember now, but I do have the info saved somewhere on my PC at home

Comment

Working...
                              X