Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Begi issues; whos had em? Howd you fix it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Begi issues; whos had em? Howd you fix it?

My begi isnt right, the adjustments seem to have no effect. Ive backed the adjuster bolt right back and i still have 10psi showing on my fuel pressure gauge thats mounted between the two regulators.(at idle with signal line connected) My needle valve also does nothing and i rebuilt this thing just as the instructions say with begi kit. What im trying to say is.....wtf? Is a vac leak causing this pain? I have seen one in proper operation so i know what supposed to happen. It does do its rising rate duty but damn this thing seems like its f'd.

10psi? That seems very low to me...Your pressure gauge is mounted in the wrong spot BTW. Here's what you should be doing:

Step 1: Install begi in-line on the fuel return line (top line on the FPR). After the FPR, before the hard line that goes back to the tank. Hook up the pressure/vacuum signal line (I tee-d mine off of the stock FPR line) and install the check valve.
    Step 2: Put an in-line fuel pressure tester on the fuel FEED line (bottom line on FPR).

I bought 3 fuel pressure testers before I found the right one. Harbor freight. $15.
    Step 3: Disconnect the signal line to the begi. Turn the car on. Adjust the top on-set screw (allen socket) until you have 45psi (more pressure = clockwise). Reconnect the pressure signal line once you're done.
    Step 4: Pry off the cover of the AFM with a screwdriver (it's a bitch). Wait a few minutes for the car to warm up. Adjust it until you idle at ~14.5 AFR. This will depend on the size of the injectors you've chosen. For me, it was 3 clicks clockwise.
    You can see below the paint marks in this picture.

Step 5: Reconnect the signal line. Drive the car. Adjust the needle adjustment screw until you feel comfortable with your AFRs. Clockwise = richer, counterclockwise = leaner. ~12.5 at full boost is a good safe point to shoot for. Once you have it drivable, take it onto the highway and log a long 3rd gear pull to redline to make sure that you're not leaning out up top or anything like that.

Comment

Yep, I fixed my begi issue with megasquirt.
      1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Ok then. I'll give it a try. I was wondering on that gauge location. The rest I've been doing. Thanks for the response. And thanks to the second guy too lol.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Finished the changes tonight. Went good. Biggest reason for begi issue-the one way valve was pooched. I moved the gauge and changed the valve and did a few pulls. The cover on the air flow meter popped up and then threw my numbers out of wack. But up till then it was the best it ever ran. Still need to fix my high idle and bov operation but a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
              I bought 3 fuel pressure testers before I found the right one. Harbor freight. $15.
              this one? http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-in...ter-92699.html
              or this one? http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pu...ter-93547.html
              I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
              TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
              e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

The first one.... http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-in...ter-92699.html

Make sure you use thread sealant and what not, otherwise it will leak. The fuel is under pretty high pressure!!

Comment

Here's what you should be doing:

Step 1: Install begi in-line on the fuel return line (top line on the FPR). After the FPR, before the hard line that goes back to the tank. Hook up the pressure/vacuum signal line (I tee-d mine off of the stock FPR line) and install the check valve.

Step 2: Put an in-line fuel pressure tester on the fuel FEED line (bottom line on FPR).

Step 3: Disconnect the signal line to the begi. Turn the car on. Adjust the top on-set screw (allen socket) until you have 45psi (more pressure = clockwise). Reconnect the pressure signal line once you're done.

Step 4: Pry off the cover of the AFM with a screwdriver (it's a bitch). Wait a few minutes for the car to warm up. Adjust it until you idle at ~14.5 AFR. This will depend on the size of the injectors you've chosen. For me, it was 3 clicks clockwise.
                  You can see below the paint marks in this picture.

Step 5: Reconnect the signal line. Drive the car. Adjust the needle adjustment screw until you feel comfortable with your AFRs. Clockwise = richer, counterclockwise = leaner. ~12.5 at full boost is a good safe point to shoot for. Once you have it drivable, take it onto the highway and log a long 3rd gear pull to redline to make sure that you're not leaning out up top or anything like that.
                  Sorry to hijack, but continuing along the same discussion so I hope it's helpful to everyone. I can move this to a separate thread if the OP wants me too.

I must say this is the most concise, helpful description of how to tune in a begi equipped m42 turbo I've seen anywhere - THANKS Jaywood!

<begin hijack>
                  Followed instructions to the letter and definitely got my car running much better. I don't have a wideband O2 sensor so haven't really been able to do much tuning yet (will try a multimeter with the O2 sensor). Car wouldn't idle at all. PO did a greddy/mitsu turbo setup but it wasn't running right when I bought it. turned out CHRA was fried. working fine with a new replacement now, boost gauge reading about 7 PSI peak. engine is stock with mustang injectors

I ended up redoing all the vacuum lines (per mess under the intake thread) and rerouting fuel lines, fuel gauge etc per steps 1 and 2. adjusted fuel pressure to 45 psi per step 3, and tweaked the AFM per step 4. I had to go 6-7 clicks though which seems excessive. Once I did that the car finally started idling reasonably well at 800 rpm.

Car will still stall out after running though, unless you ease the revs down to 1k or so before letting off the throttle. otherwise it will drop to 500 rpm or so and stall. oil pressure light is coming on sometimes at idle too.

Any suggestions on dealing with the idle? is 6-7 clicks on the AFM excessive? no idea what it was set to before so maybe this isn't a bad thing.
                  </end hijack>
                  Last edited by bradnic; 10-17-2012, 10:10 PM.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

How long have you been driving it? Motronic takes some time to "learn" the new setup.

Comment

yeah good call on that. about 45 minutes so far. taking it out again and we'll see. patience is a good thing here I suppose.

what about the 6-7 clicks on the AFM - too much?

thanks for the reply jaywood

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Hmmm. It might take a bit longer. Once it does learn the setup, try to not unplug the battery. Motronic loses its memory when you unplug the batt.

Did you turn the wheel clockwise? Did you let your car warm up when you adjusted it? Of you have a wideband?

Comment

Hmmm. It might take a bit longer. Once it does learn the setup, try to not unplug the battery. Motronic loses its memory when you unplug the batt.

Did you turn the wheel clockwise? Did you let your car warm up when you adjusted it? Of you have a wideband?
                          - Gonna go back and check direction - marked the original location. I suspect I went the wrong way!
                          EDIT: I leaned it out (counter clockwise per your note). So it was the right direction.
                          - Engine was definitely warmed up yeah.
                          - An LC-1 is on the shopping list but no joy yet
                          Last edited by bradnic; 10-18-2012, 12:29 PM.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I highly highly recommend getting a wideband.
                            Originally posted by audiquattrot
                            bimmers b4 b*tches....remember that.
                            1990 Alpinweiss 325i - secret 500whp build
                            2000 Audi S4 B5 Laser Red
                            1990 Nissan 240sx - Drift Missile
                            2006 CBR600RR

Comment

Originally posted by 619E30 View Post
                              I highly highly recommend getting a wideband.
                              This. Cannot agree enough. I'd even go so far as to say do NOT run under boost without a wideband. Without a wideband, all you're really doing is guessing that you're giving the engine enough fuel, and you're gambling with your motor's life.
                              1991 318i SOLD
                              2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X