Turbo Fuel Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Fuel Question

Hey, I know this has been brought up before but I need a more personal response:

I bought a T3 Garrett GT35r and a set of 30# injectors planning to turbo my 325i and all was well. Then, plans changed and the GT35r was exchanged for a behemoth Holset HX50 twin scroll and I'm wondering if the little 30lb-ers are going to be sufficient for a built motor, Miller turbo tuning with 3.5" MAF and 15psi. I also bought a TRE 255 which flows ~240LPH at stock fuel pressure. Looking to make a reliable 420-450whp. Thanks!
    1990 325i Touring - The Bonsai Bimmer - Patiently Waiting
    1984 316 Coupe - The Base Model - Pain in the Ass
    1988 750iL - The Daily Driver
    ...And a couple others...

30lb injectors will NOT be enough. I'd go with 60lbs!

Comment

60 lb injectors and ditch the miller for a ms standalone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
      -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

^what he said

7speedshop.com

Comment

^ +1

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

Why would you trade a big turbo (in proportion to your m20) that is already efficient enough to reach that goal for something even more huge lol.
            30#'s limit are around 250whp and that's pushing it.
            Miller's MAF is only 400hp.
            Even with the huge holset, you've got to have one hell of a built m20 to push 400+ with 15psi.

Now, everything I said could possibly be incorrect (except the injectors) if you're not talking about the m20.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
              ^what he said
              Are you still using the Miller setup? And the engine specs are a 2.8 stroker, 85mm bore, lightened crank, arp hardware for everything, MLS head gasket and then once I sell my wheels (hint hint) I'm going to get a Myster-e head and turbo cam. I'll grab new injectors then

Comment

No I've been on MS and 60lbers for some time now, its worlds better.

7speedshop.com

Comment

No I've been on MS and 60lbers for some time now, its worlds better.
                  I drive through Vancouver a lot and was just going to go directly to Miller to have it tuned, do you think that would be an improvement? I don't know how you tuned your previous set-up.

Comment

I have 30lbs and Im at 7psi, they are at 80% already.

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                      Why would you trade a big turbo (in proportion to your m20) that is already efficient enough to reach that goal for something even more huge lol.

Even with the huge holset, you've got to have one hell of a built m20 to push 400+ with 15psi.
                      I want room to grow, this is just the first stage on narrower tires and stock axles for the street, but I'd like to make more than that in the future. After I save up $1700+ for DSS axles... And then maybe some flares and 245s.

KAmotors is making 380whp with a Myster-e head at 15psi with an H1C, if I'm correct, so I think with an HX50, that head and a 2.8 it should make about 40-50 more whp, yeah? The limit of the Miller set up is 20psi so I could go higher; the engine could take it, right?

Comment

Yeah, he's also on water/meth. I still want him to go to a real dyno!
                        I'm just saying the gt35r was efficient enough for your goals. Bigger isn't always better!
                        Dan Miller can also tune megasquirt, if that's the route you're taking.

I really doubt you'll need axles till you hit the 500whp mark btw!

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                          Yeah, he's also on water/meth. I still want him to go to a real dyno!
                          I'm just saying the gt35r was efficient enough for your goals. Bigger isn't always better!
                          Dan Miller can also tune megasquirt, if that's the route you're taking.

I really doubt you'll need axles till you hit the 500whp mark btw!
                          True, I'd forgotten that. Maybe I will ramp up the boost a bit. This is my first time modifying an E30, or any car, so I think I'll just set up what I've bought for now. If I don't like something, I'll change it around, but for now we'll just see what happens.

I don't know if he's on this forum, and I don't remember his user name, but the PO of the turbo had it in a 7M supra-engined E30. His motor was stock save arp head studs I believe and he was seeing 10psi by 3000rpm. That was the only reason I got a turbo this big.

Good to know about the axles, might persuade me to pick up an MS system and crank the boost up sooner ;)

Comment

Originally posted by stanhayward View Post
                            I want room to grow, this is just the first stage on narrower tires and stock axles for the street, but I'd like to make more than that in the future. After I save up $1700+ for DSS axles... And then maybe some flares and 245s.

KAmotors is making 380whp with a Myster-e head at 15psi with an H1C, if I'm correct, so I think with an HX50, that head and a 2.8 it should make about 40-50 more whp, yeah? The limit of the Miller set up is 20psi so I could go higher; the engine could take it, right?

I'm actually on a gt35equivalent Turbonetics, the big holset was very lazy and late to spool. HX50 would be way too big, I can hardly spool the gt35 below 4k. I creep up to 1 psi by 3500rpms.

Your reliability will be 100% up to your tuning abilities.
                            I'm at 18psi now and making over 400whp simply because I made a more aggressive tune.

7speedshop.com

Comment

I'm actually on a gt35equivalent Turbonetics, the big holset was very lazy and late to spool. HX50 would be way too big, I can hardly spool the gt35 below 4k. I creep up to 1 psi by 3500rpms.

Your reliability will be 100% up to your tuning abilities.
                              I'm at 18psi now and making over 400whp simply because I made a more aggressive tune.
                              Hmm were you twin-scroll? Because as I said the PO was seeing 10 psi at 3000 rpm on an essentially stock 3.0L Toyota 7M-GTE

Comment

Working...
                              X