Questions regarding turbo M20 + tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions regarding turbo M20 + tuning

Okay, so posting this on behalf of a good friend of mine. He's always been a muscle car pushrod V8 type of guy, but recently bought an unfinished project turbo E30 for $1900.

I talked to the previous owner of the car but was not able to get as involved pre-purchase as I would have liked. Basically from what he told me it's a 2.5 bottom end, with a 2.7 crank. The head is an "E" head that has been built by the guy that built his dads 850hp turbo regal. I expressed my concern that I was aware the 'E' heads were not designed for high revs, but I'm also sure with the right components it should have no issue.

Anyway, the main thing he had asked me to get information on is tuning. His girl is due to have his first kid (a baby girl) in the next two months or so. He bought the car for drifting, but also wants the ability to drive it rather "tamely" on the street with a carseat in the back. I had mentioned to him that I remembered hearing about Miller's WAR chip, that allowed for several different tunes that could be changed on the fly. Upon further research however, I discovered that this doesn't allow for any change in boost.

Now, forgive me, as I am not very educated whatsoever when it comes to forced induction, and especially tuning. Essentially he's looking for something similar to what I've seen on Diesel trucks, like a 1-4 setting that pretty heavily adjusts the power output. 1 being a low(er) power gas mileage tune that his old lady can bomb around town with, and 4 being balls deep 18-20 lbs 400whp spin tires in 4th gear or something.

Anything out there that could achieve such a feat? Again, very sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject but I'm just trying to help a close friend out, and hopefully his love of BMWs will be on my level soon enough.

Thanks much,
    - JK
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan
    Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | BBS RC090 17x8 | EAT Chip | Port + Polish | IE 284 Cam | Built valvetrain

Most aftermarket ECUs have the ability to change tunes by flipping a switch. I know VEMS does, Im assuming Megasquirt can do it as well.

You can always adjust the aggressiveness of the car with your right foot....

I dont really see an E30 turbo drift car for a good family DD though.
    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post

You can always adjust the aggressiveness of the car with your right foot....
      +1

Works good for me. I occasionally cruise the wife and kid around as well as daily my boosted M20 35 miles to work everyday. Go Megasquirt or VEMS if you are on a budget as I would not recommend a Miller setup in any forced induction scenario. Whodwho has made running megasquirt so easy that there is no reason not to go to MS.

Comment

My car drives like stock around town. Its called not flooring it all the time.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
        My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

+1 for a whodwho pnp megasquirt setup
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Get MS from whodwho. He has the easiest setup and very good customer service. Answers any question you or your friend may have

Comment

Working...
            X