MegaSquirt hates my laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MegaSquirt hates my laptop

64-bit Win7, tried 2 different adapters. First was a trendnet that I bought on amazon. Tried driver on disc, updated driver from TrendNet's website, then default Windows driver. Doesn't work. Second adapter was from Best Buy. There was no disc so it used the default windows driver, still no dice.

This is what I get when I try to detect MS in TunerStudio.

When I run The MSLoader program, it reads COM7 and says "garbled reply", then this:

Am I retarded?

FWIW: I tried this on my work laptop with Win7 pro x86, same issue. I figured it might be security or permissions related, but I guess not.

Win7 serial drivers suck ass for about 95% of the chipsets out there. The prolific chipset is horrible. I'm pretty sure there still hasn't been an update since Win7 was released.

I ended up dual booting an ubuntu flavor (xubuntu) and running tunerstudio through that on my netbook when I updated from an XP machine. Good luck, if you search "prolific USB serial" in your favorite search engine you might find a solution, last time I tried a USB serial adapter on Win7 was early 2012.

edit: for the record, mine connected fine, however about 30 seconds into being connected the machine would BSOD.
    edit2: If you want to check to make sure it's not the megasquirt firmware, try this method: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm#serial the loopback test is what you need to do.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
      Win7 serial drivers suck ass for about 95% of the chipsets out there. The prolific chipset is horrible. I'm pretty sure there still hasn't been an update since Win7 was released.

I ended up dual booting an ubuntu flavor (xubuntu) and running tunerstudio through that on my netbook when I updated from an XP machine. Good luck, if you search "prolific USB serial" in your favorite search engine you might find a solution, last time I tried a USB serial adapter on Win7 was early 2012.

edit: for the record, mine connected fine, however about 30 seconds into being connected the machine would BSOD.
      FACK. I just realized that the default Windows driver and the driver from the CD is for PL2303 or whatever which is the prolific driver. So would it work better in an XP VM? I've got VMWorkstation.

Comment

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
        FACK. I just realized that the default Windows driver and the driver from the CD is for PL2303 or whatever which is the prolific driver. So would it work better in an XP VM? I've got VMWorkstation.
        I'm not sure about a virtual machine, but I figure so. Check my 2nd edit.
        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Do you know what port the adapter is installed to? I would not let it scan as it appears that it thinks there is 256 ports or that is what the adapter finally bound to and you need to clear out some old bindings.

Right click my computer, goto properties, device manager and expand ports - what do you see for ports?
          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
          4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
            Do you know what port the adapter is installed to? I would not let it scan as it appears that it thinks there is 256 ports or that is what the adapter finally bound to and you need to clear out some old bindings.

Right click my computer, goto properties, device manager and expand ports - what do you see for ports?
            Its defaulted to COM6. I've changed it to any unbound port from 2-9 and theres no change. I even tried 256 since it checked that port as well.

Comment

So you have specified COM6 and get this as well? I see com7 and com256 in the screen shots
              My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

You might try the port checker from here to let it scan for it. Not sure if you have a firmware loaded or not but if not TS wont find it but this scanner will

My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

So you have specified COM6 and get this as well? I see com7 and com256 in the screen shots
                  Ill do it again in a second, but the second screenshot flashed COM7 "garbled reply", then switched immediately to COM256 and gave me the last message.

These screenshots were from when i had COM7 selected, but afterwards I checked COM6 and got the same result. Give me just a second.

Comment

OK so COM6 is the only port that's opening. See below:

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                      I'm not sure about a virtual machine, but I figure so. Check my 2nd edit.
                      Just saw that. I'm trying a VM, but if that doesn't work, I'll follow your steps. Thanks man.

Comment

It is not a win7 issue, that is what I am running with a prolific based one. Not sure what driver version it installed with but there are newer prolific drivers, the older one was unstable and known for BSODs. You can check the TS site for the drivers.
                        My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

It is not a win7 issue, that is what I am running with a prolific based one. Not sure what driver version it installed with but there are newer prolific drivers, the older one was unstable and known for BSODs. You can check the TS site for the drivers.
                          Any chance you can verify driver version for me? I downloaded the latest from www.prolific.com.

V. 3.4.62.293. It's the latest as of 10/17/2013

Prolific Technology is a IC design house company and ASIC design service provider for USB Smart I/O (USB to UART, Card Readers, External USB Drive), Intelligent Green Energy Saving, and Mixed-Mode Hall Sensor solutions.

Comment

I will have to check when I get on my PC.

You might try to use the boot jumper when you are flashing the firmware and see if that helps, I have had to a few times when the firmware gets whacked
                            My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

I will have to check when I get on my PC.

You might try to use the boot jumper when you are flashing the firmware and see if that helps, I have had to a few times when the firmware gets whacked
                              I think I'll do that. I'm installing XP on an older laptop tomorrow so if that doesn't work, I'll do that. It's got a serial port built in and also I picked up a PCMCIA serial card.

Comment

Working...
                              X