Turbo Manifolds M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Manifolds M20

So I am in the market for a turbo manifold and really need some thoughts on the best manifold out there.

I hear good things about the CX Manifold but honestly my M20 is going into an 02 and I doubt think it will have the clearence...I had my heart set on the Revshift manifold that dtmfiberwerkz has on there website, but it looks to be NLA...http://dtmfiberwerkz.com/access/turb...991-p-463.html

I like the one that VAC Motorsports has but I dont really want to shell out 1600 bucks for one...http://www.vacmotorsports.com/catalo...t-manifold.htm

Whats peoples thoughts?

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
    Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

The cxracing ones are just like all the other eBay junk, it will work for awhile but it's bad flow bad fit and the welds are going to break. If your looking for the "best". Then stay away from Chinese eBay stuff. Sometimes you'll see a used 666 manifold come up and there pretty cheap and good quality.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

The first one looks like a nice choice!

OR

Find a fabulous fabricator and let him build you a custom one than will fit nicely in the 02, the price will be cheaper than what vac motorsport offers

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

Ive seen six cxracing manifolds personally and all have worked. Yes they are not ideal but they work fine and I have yet to see one break, but they may take some modifying to line up the ports. Id say it worth it just due to the fact they are 150-300$ and after modifying work well.

One thing I have also heard is some metal coming off in the manifold and destroying the turbo but never seen this happen.

Comment

i have one for sale, PM Me. nice quality no ebay stuff.
          88' E30 325 24v Turbo Coupe
          91' E30 325i Sedan
          09' E82 135i Coupe (Sold)
          01' E46 325ci Coupe (Sold)
          97' E36 328is Coupe (Sold)
          91' E30 325i m52 Coupe (Sold)
          90' E30 325is Coupe (Sold)
          90' E30 325ic Coupe (Sold)
          88' E30 325is m20 Turbo Coupe (Sold)
          88' E30 325 Coupe (Sold)
          87' E30 325e Coupe (Sold)
          86' E30 325es Coupe (Sold)

Comment

The CX racing and other ebay manis are really a POS. Out of morbid curiosity I bought one once to take a look at it, hell it wouldn't even fit with only three studs on the head. The holes are so badly out. Then there was the port angles...sheesh!

Take a look at this M20 mani. Look at the entry angles into the collector of pipes 1 and 5. Then there is the flange plate...a universal unit for T3 AND T4? WTF?

Got for your first link, nice mani, nice price.

-----------------
            89 M50B28 turbo
            LINKY
            -----------------

Comment

Originally posted by SSR-125 View Post
              i have one for sale, PM Me. nice quality no ebay stuff.

You have a PM

Yea this is pretty much what my research turned up, Id love one of those 666 fab ones, maybe ill track one down

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Nutzy View Post
                The CX racing and other ebay manis are really a POS. Out of morbid curiosity I bought one once to take a look at it, hell it wouldn't even fit with only three studs on the head. The holes are so badly out. Then there was the port angles...sheesh!

Take a look at this M20 mani. Look at the entry angles into the collector of pipes 1 and 5. Then there is the flange plate...a universal unit for T3 AND T4? WTF?

Got for your first link, nice mani, nice price.

Not the CXracing manifold being discussed here.

This is the "newer ebay manifold" that nobody is going to argue is shit.

The only reason you could say it is better than the cxracing one is because it probably doesn't interfere with iX engine mount arms.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

So in terms of what is available on the market now whats the ideal situation for under 1k

Comment

The new design manifold from CXracing fits best, but worst in design considering how the ports meet; echoing what Nutzy said.
                    The older style has the best design, nearly equal length, doesn't clear the oil dist. housing, but questionable build quality.

I also did not want to spend $1k+ on an m20 manifold lol. Feels like buying $3000 wheels to slap on your $800 rust bucket beater.
                    I went with the older CXr manifold in which I'm having modified, reinforced/welds looked at, and twin-wastegate provisionals added to meet for one wastegate, by Castro. And I'm coming from having the "New design" manifold. Works, but not ideal.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I have no problem spending 1k on something that is exactly what I am looking for, but cant even seem to find that

Comment

I used the 324 td manifold with ported mounting holes. It worked great and was $150 or so. Kept the turbo just beside the valve cover so good for hood clearance, but maybe not for super large turbos without a spacer. You could still get to all the spark plugs without having to remove the turbo, but it was right on top of them and you had to jimmy up some interesting socket contraptions to do it. I had a t3-super 60 from a thunderbird that fit just fine, but a holset or something might be close or hit the cover.

More oem quality with budget mind than peak performance I am sure, but it worked just fine and the car would smoke the stock clutch.... sooooo unless you are going for a dyno queen I would think it would be just fine. It seems to hug closer than the stock manifolds so clearance to mounts should be good?

Comment

Not looking for cast manifold but otherwise good info

Comment

Originally posted by Q5Quint View Post
                            I used the 324 td manifold with ported mounting holes. It worked great and was $150 or so. Kept the turbo just beside the valve cover so good for hood clearance, but maybe not for super large turbos without a spacer. You could still get to all the spark plugs without having to remove the turbo, but it was right on top of them and you had to jimmy up some interesting socket contraptions to do it. I had a t3-super 60 from a thunderbird that fit just fine, but a holset or something might be close or hit the cover.

[IMGhttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/q5quint/Turbo/DSCF1112.jpg[/IMG]

More oem quality with budget mind than peak performance I am sure, but it worked just fine and the car would smoke the stock clutch.... sooooo unless you are going for a dyno queen I would think it would be just fine. It seems to hug closer than the stock manifolds so clearance to mounts should be good?

Is that an EGT sensor?
                            Where do you recommend putting one on a 6 branch manifold?
                            A 3-2-1 manifold specifically.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

i need some advice... when i bought my e30 it came with an ebay turbo kit from a few years ago. i am debating if i should sell my turbo kit, and buy a new and improved cx racing turbo kit with downpipe and cat back for 1100$. if anyone as a used cast iron or 666 manifold or even turbo kit they want to sell please pm me.

Comment

Working...
                              X