• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice Photo Story!

Looks like a fun projecto

Comment

More parts came in....

Air filter assembly and air intake boot removal

Disconnect the harness connector from the air flow sensor. Remove the (2) air filter housing mounting nuts and remove the air filter assembly.

Remove the air intake boot between the throttle housing and the air flow sensor.

TO BE CONTINUED................
      Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.
      Last edited by Marvin; 01-30-2007, 08:32 PM.
      Marvin
      89 325ic
      89 325i
      03 baby girl
      San Jose, CAlifornia

Comment

Very cool. I like that you are showing step by step. You even mentioned how to remove the oil filter. lol Very thorough.

Comment

I still think you shouldnt use bolts in the headers and do what i said, rotate the engine so you can fit the header on and use studs

but you dont have to listen to me

Comment

See my post on e30 tech. Put the adapter into the chassis then fit the forward manifold and then the rear. Tighten in equal sequence so nothing binds up between all the mating surfaces. Tilting the motor would help too but shouldnt need to be done unless your OEM studs on the manifolds are the ridiculously long ones. Also see the pic of simply bending the rear oil line to keep everything the factory put there in place.
            '92 MTech cabrio: Tesla P85 powered

IG: telsa_bimmer

'95 Alpine M3 5.3 LS, Precision 7675, TH400/Gear Vendors OD
            10.4@136 pump gas at 3530lbs. (SOLD)

Comment

MORE parts came in......

Received the (2) 18" x 3.0" polished aluminum pipes

Cut the 3.0" pipes to size and test fitted them from the turbo, intercooler to intake manifold

From the turbo outlet to 3" pipe , i used a Silicone Reducer, 90° bend - 2.0" to 3.0" - form http://www.siliconeintakes.com / for $19.99

From turbo to intercooler inlet (2.5") /outlet (2.5") , I used 2 x Silicone Reducer, 90° bend - 3.0" to 2.5" - from http://www.siliconeintakes.com/ for $19.99 each

from intercooler outlet (2.5"), to 3" pipes (3.0 silicone straight coupling and more t-bolt clamps are in order)

where the Tial 38mm BOV will be installed

from 3" pipes to intake manifold, i used 3.0" Silicone 90° Elbow, for $16.99 and 3.0" Silicone Straight Couple, for $9.99 both from http://www.siliconeintakes.com/

TO BE CONTINUED................
              Marvin
              89 325ic
              89 325i
              03 baby girl
              San Jose, CAlifornia

Comment

cool looks like fun, i wish i had the motivation to finish my turbo car

Comment

Good work marvin!! can wait to see it in person! i love how detailed your thread is..very informative. cant wait to see the finished project.
                  1991 318iS swapped w/ euro S50B32
                  -Michael

Comment

can't wait till you finish.

Comment

Looks great man. Nice parts. .Deff love the step by step with pics!! What are the demensions of your IC? and not to make your install process more complicated but if you don't mind, I am curious to know the length of the charge pipes (after you cut them) starting from the turbo to intake mani. I plan to weld a small bead around my charge pipes where I use couplers to help prevent any chance of blowing one off. Might be overkill but thats never a bad thing especially when considering where the couplers will be located.

Does anyone else think the charge pipes are a little to large? won't the larger pipes reduce velocity? I am not being trying to be a PITA and I am deff not an expert but just want to know for myself why you decided on such a large diameter?

Thanks
                      -D
                      sigpic

Comment

well, I think it makes for more pressure build up time, so maybe lag if they are to big. Also if the turbo was smaller, you would strain the turbo to build boost. I noticed by going with a smaller diameter pipe, I increased boost. I was funning like 2 1/2 inch and then Went to 2 inch. on the same systme I want to say that i was running 9lbs before the pipe change, then once it was all said and done i was running 11lbs.
                        1989 Turbo 325is
                        87 ETA Dinan Stg 2

Comment

put the blow off valve immediately after the turbo outlet, so you are not wasting you intercooled air after the intercooler

think about it, and it will make sense

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Deagle View Post
                            put the blow off valve immediately after the turbo outlet, so you are not wasting you intercooled air after the intercooler

think about it, and it will make sense
                            Well, if you do think about it, all the pressure in your entire system is bled out with a BOV. Intercooler and all. Thats what a BOV does.

Comment

Originally posted by mooseoftoose View Post
                              Well, if you do think about it, all the pressure in your entire system is bled out with a BOV. Intercooler and all. Thats what a BOV does.
                              duh, but you would be wasiting cooled air instead of hot air, think about it in an energy sense

Comment

It doesn't really matter a whole lot where you put it. There are ups and down to both locations. I would put it closer to the throttle body, myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X