Throw me some Turbo Literature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throw me some Turbo Literature

What are some good NA to Turbo write ups, guides, manuals, etc. I can learn off of? Really looking to boost my m20 in my e30 soon. Thinking about going KAmotors due to the MS2 Startup tune as I currently know 0 about tuning. I know the basics of boosting an NA motor but am a little murky on Vaccum line routings and oil drains etc. TIA anything helps.

Read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell and that will give you a solid foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
      Read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell and that will give you a solid foundation.
      Second this. I got it from the library when I was first floating the idea of a turbo build and it's a great read. He spells things out very simply and clearly, what each part is and what it does, how it works.
      There's a .pdf of it floating around on the accessible internet if you can't find a legitimate copy, but it's available on Amazon so no excuses.

Comment

When it comes to turboing an NA car, you can either try to retain the stock ECU and use a chip tune with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator or you can convert to a standalone system. The stock computer can't understand anything over atmospheric pressure, so you're starting from a significant disadvantage. Most people end up with a standalone system which allows for more tune-ability and features. Better tuning will be safer for the engine while also allowing more boost and getting more power from a given boost pressure.

I'm just about finished building my MegaSquirt 2 v3.0 board. It's taken months of research and planning, but I've learn a ton about electronics and engine management.

If you want to learn based on some builds, I would read through Varg's build and dvallis' build.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

The stock ECU cam most certainly work, without a FMU, just a proper chip tune. The very same Motronic computers were used in the Porsche 951 platform (944 turbo). I have tuned many many turbo m20's on the stock ECU. The problem is running higher power levels since the ECU has a hard time idling with much over 36lb/hr injectors.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
          X