X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel system questions

1987 (series 2) e30 318, manual trans

Hello again e30 gods,

I've narrowed down my issue almost certainly to a fuel problem.

For some background, the car drove fine after buying it, a few days later it idled slightly rough then started dying. After shutting it off I could restart it and it would be fine for a few minutes then bog down again.

Originally thought the issue was spark but after removing the old broken down fuel from the tank and adding a bit of fresh gas, it ran much much better and actually idled under its own power, however would still bog down extremely hard and stall when driving. I had read somewhere that if one of the pumps goes out or is clogged, the other one can still run the car provided the tank is mostly full, but as the level drops it gets worse and worse at sucking up enough fuel and as such bogs down hard.

Figured I'd try it, and I put a full tank in the car.

As of right now it runs great besides a very small hesitation here and there (which might even be my mind playing tricks on me at this point 🥴).

So my main question is:
    Is this a viable diagnosis? Has anyone heard of this happening where one pump can somewhat run the car if the tank is pretty close to full, but bogs down when the level drops? If so, which pump is it likely to be? I've already got a replacement filter I'm going to throw on, but wanted to consult the cult first and see if anyone has had this happen or heard of a similar issue before I start throwing parts at it hoping to fix it.

The previous owner had also apparently replaced the pumps, which makes me think he may have done something wrong/misdiagnosed a fuel issue.

Thank you all!

(Also I can't stomp test as my car is a euro spec so no CEL :/)​

The definitive test for all of this is fuel pressure- as in, you should have 2.5- 3 bar at

tthe rail relative to the intake manifold.

If you don't, then yes, it may be the low pressure pump in the tank, plugged filter, failing regulator, and so forth. But fuel does eventually
    go bad in the US- I dunno about what comes out of the pumps in other countries...
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I had a similar issue when I got an e30. Dead fuel pump (91, so only 1 pump). New fuel pump installed, it kept dying after a running a bit. After checking checking almost everything, it was the fuel filter turned the wrong way. When troubleshooting, I did glance at the fuel filter but it looked new so I didn't think it was that. But after double checking everything, I noticed the arrow was pointing the wrong way on the filter. Hopefully it is something simple as this.

Comment

Cut the old filter in half after you change it out. (I suggest a non-spark producing method!!)
        See what's inside.

Could also be the gas tank not venting properly (through the charcoal canister?).

When you're having this bogging issue, can you remove the gas cap and see if the car starts running normally?

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone, the filter is definitely on the right way haha, I do think I've found my issue, pulled the pump and my oh my the amount of rust is unbelievable. So my question now is, I am absolutely dreading dropping the tank because of the driveshaft exhaust etc. I do have lots of experience wrenching but am currently working without a lift and also have most of my bolts rusted on tight. Since there's a drain plug on the bottom of the tank, is there a feasible way to flush the tank multiple times with something like vinegar, flush the lines out and call it a day? Have new filters ready to go and will probably swap out the in tank pump for good measure.
          everything I've seen online shows dropping the tank is a hellish job, and 2 hours in I can definitely agree so preferably I'd leave it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
            Cut the old filter in half after you change it out. (I suggest a non-spark producing method!!)
            See what's inside.

Could also be the gas tank not venting properly (through the charcoal canister?).

When you're having this bogging issue, can you remove the gas cap and see if the car starts running normally?
            I have tried popping open the cap while it was running, but not when I was driving which is when it tends to bog, and now seeing all the rust (see my previous reply ;-; ) I definitely don't want to put more gas in the car and run it

Comment

Working...
            X