X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thermostat and coolant hose DELETE

working on the race car
    1984 M10

looking to close of the large port on the back of the head, and the small side port.
    wondering if anybody has machined a new housing peice for the head for only one hose to come off. going to look at hooking the bottom rad directly to the water pump, the head to the top of the rad and just delete the extra hoses and the thermostat all together.

has anyone done this? anyone got any ideas on it??

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
    Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Found that the stock thermostat worked fine for race car. So didn't dick with it.

Ran a bypass hose to the back of the head with a tiny (1/16" hole) restrictor in it.
    Cooling system bled much easier and faster that way.

So no, I've not blocked 'em off.

fwiw.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

may have to thread the waterpump and cap the extra outlet on it as well. anyone tried all this?

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
      Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

adapter plate M10

I used an M20 stat housing and just made an adapter plate to fit between the head and the housing. Now I can use all of the late model stats (88 and 92 degree) and get the car warmed up quickly. Can post a pic if anyone is interested. One note: I had to move the coolant expansion tank over near the cowl to get the filler high enough...works great so far. Now I can also use the higher pressure caps with the M20 325i expansion tank. I used a 20MM freeze plug (brass) in the heater hose outlet since the heater hose now runs off of the stat housing. Better to warm the engine up fist and then the feet!

Comment

Working...
        X