Valve adjustment help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment help

Hey so I figured out that I have a m10b16 engine and I looked everywhere online about adjusting valves my self as when the car is cold it sounds crazy loud. So from what I learned is that I need to use a 0.008 feeler gauge and adjust it cold along with a 10 inch wrench and something to move around the eccentric. But I didn't get the concept of having to put the car in high gear and moving it to get to top dead center. I think I know what it looks like but still not confident. I also don't know if their is a specific order. This will be my first job ever on a car as I'm only 16 but I'm confident wish the 2002faq.com writeup would work it won't open so thanks guys please help.

Try searching the 2002faq with google. There is more than one thread on it. But the
    search isn't always the best way to find it.

On racey cars, we stick a socket on the crank nut to roll the engine. But you probably
    don't have room to get down there.
    So yeah, put it in 4th, and bump the whole car forward until #1's at TDC.
    The 'procedure' tells you which other valves you can adjust, but I tend to bump it
    forward so that #3, #4 and then #2 are at tdc as well. Just seems to work easier.

Then use your 10 MILLIMETER wrench to loosen the eccentric lock nut, tuck the feeler
    gauge between the adjuster and the valve stem, and adjust it until the feeler gauge
    has some drag on it, but can still move pretty easily. It's kind of hard to do, honestly,
    but exact precision isn't super- critical.
    To turn the eccentric, you can use a small hex wrench (allen key) in the hole-
    pick the one that fits best.

It's kind of fussy, but after you do it a few times, it gets easier.

Oh, buy a new valve cover gasket. You probably won't need it, but if the old one tears,
    it's nice to have a spare. And some RTV- the 2 seams at the front of the head
    where the chain cover mates up need just a light smear IF you change the gasket.

And the M20 and M30 procedures are exactly the same, except for the order
    that you adjust the valves in.

hth

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

ok thank you for everything but can you give me a better idea on what is top dead center pics would be aewsome

Comment

you probably shouldn't be adjusting your valves if you don't even know how to get your motor to TDC.. take it to a mechanic or someone that knows what they are doing bc last thing you want is to adjust the valves incorrectly and have even worse problems.. otherwise get a bentley manual. it'll tell you everything you need to know.
        sigpic

Comment

The problem is all the mechanics here tell me that they are all like that and that it's not fixable :/ besides in 4 months I'm going to be doing a m50 swap will it last 4 months? Or is it not good to keep it unadjusted

Comment

adjust it. it's sooo easy.

And don't put off the adjustment because you're doing the M50 swap in four months, unless you already have every single last thing you need for the swap.

Comment

Oh don't worry about what I need for the swap everything for bmw is available in this country... And I'm thinking about just leaving it I hope nothing breaks

Comment

You dont need to be in Top dead center. You just need the rocker arm that you are adjusting to be on the completely opposite side of the lobe on the cam. In other words there should be no pressure on the rocker arm when you adjust it.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadskittles View Post
                  You dont need to be in Top dead center. You just need the rocker arm that you are adjusting to be on the completely opposite side of the lobe on the cam. In other words there should be no pressure on the rocker arm when you adjust it.

This.

TDC is a starting point, but not necessary for valve adjustment. I just put the car in Neutral, remove the fan, and crank the crankshaft. It isn't hard, just take your time and be thorough.
                  1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                  You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

triple check you clearances with the next feeler up and down. Makes it a lot easier to gauge if your getting consistent clearances. I like a .08 intake and .10 exhaust makes the top end a bit more lively from around 4-6.5k.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

I feel a lot more comfortable now and stuff doing it my self but will anything happens if I leave it for 4 months besides it only sounds disgusting cold warm it's barely anything

Comment

Do it. Broken rockers really suck on M10s.

t
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

If it has been a long time since you've adjusted them, the rocker arms could break. Then you will be doing a lot more work than adjusting the valves--it would be taking the head off the motor and having more fun. Take your time with it, the only way you learn is by doing. TobyB already outlined the correct procedure.
                          '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                          NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                          Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Ok guys I ordered my feeler gauges and I did a little more research and I understand what cam lobes are and stuff so do I want tdc on the exhuast or compression stroke should the lobe be facing down or horizontal in which direction

Comment

TDC on the power stroke, thats when the plug would fire and both valves closed.

When you have the valve cover off, you will see the cam lobes, you should be able to slightly "rock" the rocker a bit. line the mark on the crank pulley. if the rockers are loose on #1 then start. if the cam lobe is opening the vlve, spin the crank 360 and start.

you will see clearly what rockers are loose when you pull the cover. alwys have a cheap gasket hanging on the wall, but it should be ok to re use if it doesnt break.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
                              Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Working...
                              X