Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big a cam is too big (emissions and l jettronic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big a cam is too big (emissions and l jettronic)

So I'm in the process of planning what sort of m10 build I would like to do. Essentially the dilemma faced is that living in California I need to pass emissions both visually (stock fuel system management) and a sniffer. im thinking based on other anecdotal research (other forum posts) that even a 292 or 304 cam will pass emissions with a good catalytic converter on it but is it even worth looking into given the fact Id be using the stock fuel management or is that gonna be too much.

Other info I'm thinking for the build is a m10b18 block and head with 9.5:1 compression and a 2002 crank and rods for displacement.

Similarly related but do u guys think it's worth it to get bigger valves installed in the head?

Keep in mind that L-Jetronic is non-adaptive so changes will make it a challenge to dial in your tune.

Comment

292, I would think, would be a good fit.
      Don't bother with the valves unless you change the fuel injection system.
      And the redline

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Yeah I'm kind of leaning towards that because most of the builds I see that say they would work with l jet seem that you'll leave some power on the table with both but the 284 is because it just is too mild the 292 is just because it would benefit from more air and higher redline.

i suppose I Could always change the fuel system to a stand alone but I would have to negate a lot of the benefits since Id have to keep a distributor and at least a Air meter that looks stock it seems like extra money that doesn't do much. Plus I've read threads about adding a resistor to increase rev limit. As much as people on this forum don't like the l jet it doesn't seem any worse then the other factory m10 options.

Comment

Working...
        X