Strange Oil Leak. Need insight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Oil Leak. Need insight!

I have a fairly quick oil leak that occurs at the passenger side rear corner of the head where it meets the block as well as the lower exhaust stud closest to that corner. It's dripping onto the exhaust manifold and smoking. I'm concerned she'll catch fire if I run her hard and get the exhaust hot. Initially thought that it was a failed head gasket but I removed the head and had it leveled. The machinist only had to take off .003''. I, unfortunately, didn't have the head pressure tested while I had it off as I was under a time crunch (dumb move). Assembled the head and installed it with a new head gasket but the leak is just as bad as before. I'm now thinking this may be due to a cracked block and/or head. Seems strange because of the location and the fact that this leak started after the car sat for 1.5 years due to bodywork and suspension refresh. No history of overheating or abuse. Do you guys have any suggestions? I can provide pictures later if needed.
    If I didn't start a build thread did the build really happen?

Have you looked at the distributor housing? I think a leak there would just run down the back of the block, but maybe its possible. Some of the upper studs are also exposed to the inside of the head, it could be leaking from the stud.

Comment

Yeah. Installed a new distributor housing gasket and double-checked there. Not leaking. Starting to think that I have a crack between the rearmost head bolt and the lower exhaust stud. Pressurized oil meant to supply the rocker arms may be working its way into that blind hole.

Comment

My oil pressure warning switch was high up on that side and gave the impression I had a terrible oil leak, worth a look??

Mart.

Comment

Yep- oil pressure switches are known leakers.

Also, your upper exhaust studs run into the wet part of the head, so if they come loose,
          they gush. If they're tight, but don't have sealant on them, they just drip and smoke.

As for real smoke, you'll only get it from the manifold studs or valve cover gasket.
          Nothing else really gets on the manifold. It just makes a mess

hth

t
          Last edited by TobyB; 02-16-2020, 12:26 PM.
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

One of the bolts on the distributor housing has a special seal on one of the bolts. I would check for it. #11 below:

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll be able to get back to the car here in a week or two. I'll update the post with what I find.

Comment

Well, it appears that the head has a nice crack in it. Learned my lesson to always get it pressure tested before mounting. Luckily I have a spare head to pull off a '84 318i.
                Last edited by Dunzo; 01-27-2021, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X