Throttle bodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle bodies

The aluminum in my m20's throttle body is getting brittle & causing issues. First the threads for the heater plate let go, I tried to over bore & rethread but the tap was acting like a drill just pulling metal out. Now it has developed an air leak the the idle valve port because the splines have worn smooth, I've sealed it with RTV for now. My cars a 91 so most used m20 throttle bodies are going to be older & possibly have the same issue, a new throttle body is expensive & has questionable availability. Do any of the big bore throttle bodies use a new housing or adapt a newer throttle body? Not looking for performance gains, just looking for options that are not 30 + years old.

Next time you seal the air leak, go straight for the JB weld.
    The ports do tend to let go and need to be sealed, but I still think it's way more work to find something else to modify to fit TPS/vacuum hoses/throttle.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Caperix View Post
      The aluminum in my m20's throttle body is getting brittle & causing issues. First the threads for the heater plate let go, I tried to over bore & rethread but the tap was acting like a drill just pulling metal out. Now it has developed an air leak the the idle valve port because the splines have worn smooth, I've sealed it with RTV for now. My cars a 91 so most used m20 throttle bodies are going to be older & possibly have the same issue, a new throttle body is expensive & has questionable availability. Do any of the big bore throttle bodies use a new housing or adapt a newer throttle body? Not looking for performance gains, just looking for options that are not 30 + years old.
      RHD do new throttles, but you need 6 of them.....

On a more serious note you would hope vendors that sell a BBTB do so with a good core piece only place i found that might still do them is

For the price I'd be shopping for some good used units. I'm sure they still exist thought the TB heater part corrosion is a chronic issue but not difficult to solve in itself
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
      X