Why does my garage always smell like gasoline after I drive E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does my garage always smell like gasoline after I drive E30

E30 104k miles. AfteR I drive my garage smells like gasoline. Any ideas?

Bad evaporative line, the larger line behind a metal cover in the rear passenger wheel well. It's 13mm inner diameter IIRC, so any 1/2 fuel hose will work since it is under no pressure.

Could also be the fuel pump or fuel sender seals, but you'd smell those in the inside of the car.

Also worth checking your engine bay fuel lines.

Comment

104k miles but also 30+ years.

Comment

Filling your tank too much? My E39 leaks from an overflow vent somewhere if I fill it all the way.
        "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
        2002 E39 M5

Comment

In my case it was a rusted-through hardline to the charcoal canister.

This diagram may also be helpful. This is for the early-model E30, yours will be different if it's a late model.
          Last edited by Panici; 07-04-2022, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Yep. Fuel is coming out somewhere. Just gotta trace the diagram
            "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
            2002 E39 M5

Comment

Find that leak! You won't be the first one to burn up an E30 by not dealing with a fuel leak. Trace the lines from the tank to the engine. Remove the rear seat, then the access cover to the fuel pump and sending unit. Check those hoses. Also, the expansion tank sits behind the filler neck. Remove the rear wheel, remove the splash shield and check all those hoses also.
              2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Working...
              X