Fuel Pressure Drops to zero the second the engine stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Pressure Drops to zero the second the engine stops

I have a 1992 325i vert. I bought it a month ago, had been sitting for years. I just finished rebuilding the head, replaced timing belt, gaskets, fuel pump, water pump. Everything seemed to be working ok, but suddenly it stopped idling. The car starts, but unless I give it some constant amount of throttle, it stalls out. I hooked up a pressure gauge using a T on the fuel line entering the fuel bar. When I jumper the fuel pump, I get about 32 psi of pressure. When I remove the jumper the pressure instantly drops to zero. I don’t see any gas leaks. Is it an FPR problem? Injectors? What would you screw with first?

I ended up pulling the fuel pumps and replacing it and now I have the right fuel pressure and it holds its pressure. Frustrating considering it was a brand new Delphi fuel pump. At least it works now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sdubbya View Post
      I ended up pulling the fuel pumps and replacing it and now I have the right fuel pressure and it holds its pressure. Frustrating considering it was a brand new Delphi fuel pump. At least it works now.
      Thanks for the resolution update.

Do you think it was a faulty check valve in the new Delphi pump?

Comment

Faulty check valve would not stall engine. Would there be some fault in pump mechanical internals causing major internal leak or something.

Comment

I was thinking maybe some kind of broken seal which would cause it to produce lower pressure and be unable to hold pressure. But I am not very familiar with the internal workings.

Comment

Working...
          X