Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any issues with using the parts from a 325ix to complete my eta 327i stroker project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any issues with using the parts from a 325ix to complete my eta 327i stroker project?

I have found a cheap 325ix for sale and am just wondering if it would work. It still has the 885 "i" head and everything, right? Still just a M20B25, right?

Could I still use the harness? Gauge cluster, etc.? Also curious if I can take the rear diff from an ix for my non-ix. Thanks.

yes it's still just a m20. The oil pan is different. Idk about the harness. The rear diff you can probably use.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

No, it is NOT just a regular M20. the block *casting* itself is different, as is the oil pump, the hole in the block the pump attaches to, and the oil pump drive shaft. Also there's no hole in the block for a dispstick.

Yes, it can be made to work, but you're probably better off selling the block to somebody who has an ix, or just finding an 885 head and using the block you already have (generally, outside of the ix - all M20 blocks are the same or close enough to the same).

yes, you can use the rear diff from an ix, it will bolt up just fine. However, it has a VC instead of clutch disks, although either one is likely shot by now (these things are at least 30 years old!). I can't imagine an LSD for a regular E30 costs more than an ix LSD these days, but who knows..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I thought the IX block just had the oil dipstick tube repositioned to the back of the block?

The ix top end is identical to the other b25 models. the engine wiring harness is the same as well as the dme.
        Gauge cluster as well.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ceeker View Post
          I thought the IX block just had the oil dipstick tube repositioned to the back of the block?

The ix top end is identical to the other b25 models. the engine wiring harness is the same as well as the dme.
          Gauge cluster as well.
          no. the oil pump is completely different. the mating interface with the block isn't the same, and the oil pump runs in the reverse direction. that's why the block casting is different.

the ix has a unique wiring harness as well, because it interfaces with the ABS computer, as well has having a different oil level sensor. you could retrofit that fairly easily though.

and yes, the rest of the engine (head, intake, electronics) is the same.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

damn if you lived in California I would buy that IX block

Comment

Working...
            X