Chasing down a bizarre misfire - 325es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing down a bizarre misfire - 325es

Here's a TLDR if you don't feel like reading everything below.

I think I have a misfire issue that only happens intermittently, usually on rainy days, and can go away for days/weeks at a time. The motor won't rev past 2-2.5k rpm under load, but revs freely in neutral. At idle, the car sounds like a cammed LS when idling, exhaust smells like fuel, and the engine shakes. If I keep the throttle pinned, it will sputter and sometimes climb up in rpms until it breaks through and runs normally. It goes away once warmed up or after 1-2 minutes if the holding the throttle doesn't work. Fuel pressure and injectors seem to be fine. Spark plugs seem okay. I definitely have a head gasket leak (oil) and very low compression in cylinder 6, which I think may be causing the issue.

Video of the issue

The long story

I've been trying to chase down a misfire I've been getting from time to time for the last year and I think I may be closing in on the issue.

A little background. I bought a 1986 325es with about 145k miles on the clock a little over two years ago. I did two major services on the car and began running into a misfire issue after the second service.

When I bought the car, I did all the typical maintenance. Oil change, fuel filter, camshaft seal, water pump, timing belt, spark plugs, ignition components and wires. I got the car re-assembled and drove it around without any issues.

The second round of maintenance, I installed power steering, I replaced the intake manifold with a powder coated one, replaced the starter, replaced the fuel injectors with refurbs, and did a valve adjustment, along with a bunch of smaller non-critical items. It was here where I ran into an issue getting the car to start.

After reassembly, the car wouldn't start. It turns out I forgot to reconnect the O2 sensor wire back. I got the car started, but it was running incredibly rough. After some quick diagnosis, it turns out four of my fuel injectors were stuck and not providing fuel to the cylinder. I had them sent back to where I bought them from to get them refurbed again and eventually got them back in the car. Viola! The car ran fine. At least I thought it did.

After a few days of driving the car, I ran into a problem where I would get into second gear and the car wouldn't want to rev past 2,000 rpm. It would hit what seemed like a false rev limit and stayed pinned at that rpm. If I shifted into third, the car would accelerate some more and than stop at maybe 1,800 rpm. The higher gear I went into, the lower the rev limit dropped. If I shifted into neutral, the car could rev to red line with no load. When I let it drop to idle, it would idle at like 500-600 rpm and run roughly, almost sounding like a cammed LS with that glugging/gurgling sound.

If I stomped on the accelerator and held it, it would try and rev past the limit and slowly climb up in speed and the issue would go away. Usually this would happen for a minute or two at a time. Once the engine was warmed up and it stopped with the misfires the first time, it wouldn't come back as long as the engine didn't cool and sit for a few days.

After experiencing the issue several times, the common denominator I found was that it would typically occur during or after a rain fall. I thought maybe there was an issue with moisture on some sensor or something.

Everywhere I read said it's probably a CPS issue, so I replaced that. The car ran fine for a while and I thought that was it. Nope. Eventually the same issue came back.

I thought maybe it's a vacuum leak causing the problem. I had the car smoke tested and it turns out I had a major leak at the oil return tube from it not seating right (I guess when I was taking the manifold on and off trying to figure out the no-start the first time). The guy was shocked my car was even running. I just recently tore everything apart and got that fixed. There is still a tiny, tiny leak at the throttle body bearing, but I highly doubt that it's causing the issue if the car ran with the massive leak at the oil return tube.

After fixing the vacuum leak, I got the car back together. It felt so much more responsive and the throttle felt snappier. I wasn't getting that misfiring issue and I was happy. I thought I fixed the problem. Nope! It came back again after a few days. This time it seems to be appearing more often.

I always thought it may be something with the fuel injectors after having four of them stuck, but they seem to be ticking just fine and the fuel pressure in the system is to spec.

I finally decided to take out the spark plugs and inspect them. They have some oil on the threads. Cylinder 1 actually had a decent amount of oil on it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8341.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.4 KB ID:	10083658Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8342.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.3 KB ID:	10083659

I ran a compression test and it looks like cylinders 3 and 6 may have a problem. I know cylinder 6 definitely has low compression. Unfortunately, the gauge I used is some garbage Amazon one, so the readings were actually showing 180 psi for the good cylinders. I tested it with a compressor and think it's out of whack about 30 psi. I'm going to recheck with a higher quality compression test kit.

1 - 150
    2- 144
    3 - 130
    4 - 148
    5 - 148
    6 - 60-90

I also have a pretty good oil leak from the head at cylinder 6 which I think may be more than just your typical M20 weeping gasket. There is some leaking at the front of the motor as well. I'm assuming this is what's causing my misfiring, rough running, false rev limit issue. I don't think it's leaking coolant, because my coolant levels have stayed the same the past two years.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8346.jpg Views:	0 Size:	200.6 KB ID:	10083660

What is the next step here? I was going to retest the compression and then check the valves to make sure they are still within spec. I'm assuming I want to do a leak down test to try and narrow down exactly is going on?

I'm planning on doing a head gasket replacement. My plans for this motor are to eventually turbo it, but I think I may save that for next year to try and get the car back up and running before spring instead of rushing a turbo build.

Are there any other items I can replace, upgrade while doing a head gasket replacement?

How old are the crank sensors in the bell housing? Have you tested them for resistance? I had a scenario where my could would intermittently run bad. I had to pull over and restart the car to get it moving again. I tested my sensors (at the ECU plug), and they were in spec. This went on for months, I tested them again with the engine hot and they were WAY out. Replaced them and and all is well.

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post
      How old are the crank sensors in the bell housing? Have you tested them for resistance? I had a scenario where my could would intermittently run bad. I had to pull over and restart the car to get it moving again. I tested my sensors (at the ECU plug), and they were in spec. This went on for months, I tested them again with the engine hot and they were WAY out. Replaced them and and all is well.
      I replaced the CPS with a brand new one. The car ran fine for a few days and then the issue popped up again, so I don't think it was that. I never had issues before doing all the maintenance work on the car.

I did another compression test with a different gauge and actually got numbers similar to the first test. I'm confused now, because my compression is higher than what the factory manual calls for. Do different M20s have higher compression or has work been done on this motor?

Cylinder 1 - 200 psi
      Cylinder 2 - 190 psi
      Cylinder 2 - 178 psi
      Cylinder 2 - 170 psi
      Cylinder 2 - 170 psi
      Cylinder 2 - 100, 110, 112 psi (tested three times)

So what it looks like to me is that the head is lifted toward the back of the motor. The compression is decreasing as you go down the line. I'm curious if this issue was always present and is just getting worse over time. I feel like the oil leak at the rear of the motor definitely got worse and the misfire issue was been popping up more frequently.

I did a leak down test yesterday and I had air coming out of the oil dip stick. I'm really hoping it's not the piston rings and that the head is just lifted and it might be getting into the oil passages. I'm gonna try and disassemble it all this week to see exactly what is going on and the state of things.

Comment

Assuming the cylinder order is 1-6 and 6 is 100-112 psi, that is definitely an issue. You could try a cylinder leak down test on it to determine if it's intake/exhaust value or the rings. Has the head ever been off the engine before?
        Last edited by jbontke; 02-13-2023, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Don't worry about the actual psi rating, the important part is the difference between cylinders. That 100psi cylinder, squirt some oil in through the plug hole and test it again. If it raises up then its likely the rings, if it stays the same its likely valves.
          I have had a similar reading on a M42 that was carbon buildup around the valves, which meant they weren't sealing and therefore not holding compression. Don't assume worst case, do diagnostics first.
          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
            Don't worry about the actual psi rating, the important part is the difference between cylinders. That 100psi cylinder, squirt some oil in through the plug hole and test it again. If it raises up then its likely the rings, if it stays the same its likely valves.
            I have had a similar reading on a M42 that was carbon buildup around the valves, which meant they weren't sealing and therefore not holding compression. Don't assume worst case, do diagnostics first.
            So I put about 10-15 mL of oil into cylinder 6 and did the compression test again and came up with about 150 psi. So it looks like it might be the rings.

Man, the scope of this project keeps creeping.

One thing I came across while disassembling the motor was that the wire to the ICV broke when I was taking it off. I wonder if this could have been a potential culprit for the misfire issue I was experiencing. Either way, I do have to replace the head gasket, so the head is coming off.

Now the question is, do I just pull the motor out since it looks like I'll have to do rings, or do I take the cylinder head off, see what's happening, and then reassemble to pull the entire motor?

What other major work should be done if I plan on pulling the head off or even taking the motor out of the car?

Comment

If it just the rings, there isn't much to look at unless you pull the engine apart. I don't know your future plans, but you could do a super cheap repair: pull the head, drop the oil pan, pull the piston, hone the cylinder, and put new rings in it then reassemble.

I like to keep my cars drivable, you could find another engine to rebuild then do all the engine swap work at once. There is less time down time and less likely to forget where something goes or for something to be misplaced.

Comment

Working...
              X