“Shielded” open intake ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Shielded” open intake ;)

Hey guys, I know the “cold air” intake argument revolving around the stock m20 box is well worn. Not trying to win anyone over here. Just wanted to share my little project.

I’m 100% in agreement that these cars are great in stock form. That being said, my car will never be original and or a show car. I bought it to enjoy, and introduce my youngest son to the car world. My particular example was a bit of a mess when I bought it, so as I’ve gone through various systems making things how they should be, I also enjoy making my car “my car”. Anyhow, so I am 100% deaf in my right ear and tone deaf in the left from an illness as a teen. So while I like engine sounds I dont always experience the results my mods provide to others. My wife purchased me a Supersprint cat back for Christmas, and although it changed the tone of the exhaust, and sounds very nice, the car is still pretty quiet. I’m keeping the cat, and I’m not ready for headers yet, so after researchIng and weighing things out I decided to do an open filter intake system.

I’ve been a mechanic for most of my adult life, and consider myself to be pretty good at what I do. What I don’t know about I do loads of research. Being that nobody trustworthy makes an intake for the m20 equipped cars, I just decided to do it myself. My goal was nothing more than to enhance induction noise, while not loosing power doing so. Any other attributes are lagniappe.

Cost for the project was about $220 and I’d say 6 hours of my time measuring, templating and fabricating, and add a couple days or weeks lol of searching the internet for materials and parts and deciding if I really wanted to do this.

List of what I used:

Redeyegarage m20/m42 intake adapter $70 shipped
    (Ryan gave me some solid advice about my shielding material choice! Thanks again sir!)

AFE Magnum FLOW Pro 5R part 24-91013 $92 shipped

16x24” sheet of .062 5052 alum. Amazon $39 shipped

10’ 5/8 vertical bulb trim seal Amazon $15 shipped

I had the hardware on hand but it amounted to 5 15mm m6 bolts nuts and washers.

Some notes:

- To make this work with the filter I chose I did have to bend the factory AFM mount, but it’s still there and I’m 100% certain I can use it to remount the factory box if I chose to. If you go smaller with the filter the bend may not be needed.
    - All I did was take a piece of cardboard the size of my aluminum sheet and cut and shape it to fit where I wanted it. Once that was completed I just transferred it to the aluminum.
    - I cut the aluminum with a jig saw and a fine tooth metal blade. I used some cedar fence boards to back up the aluminum while cutting.
    - I don’t have a metal brake, so I used c clamps and the fence boards again and a piece of 1/8 x 1” 90 degree aluminum stock to form the hard edges and bent most angles by hand and used a hammer against a hardwood board for the smaller flanges.
    - After cutting I hit the edges on both sides with a file, then test fitted. I made a few clearance altercations for final fit and room for the bulb seal.
    - I used the inner abs pump mount as a lower mount for the shield and drilled two holes through the fender well for mounting purposes as well.

I’ll quit yapping and show some pictures. I was only allowed to post 5 so I tried to show start to finish within the allowed upload cap.

Thanks for looking

Trey

Click image for larger version  Name:	7CCBDBC6-021C-4C55-B3BB-9EC2E431A435.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.4 KB ID:	10087504
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0F4D45C6-CF14-461D-A319-AFBB4C834006.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.3 KB ID:	10087500

Click image for larger version  Name:	6545AA0E-21E7-4612-928C-2C8D517F71F9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.1 KB ID:	10087501

Click image for larger version  Name:	E51122B7-627E-4D27-A61F-99E8F3B71AD4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.3 KB ID:	10087503

Click image for larger version  Name:	41C079F1-927B-4DA8-AA73-AD391673DE7A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.7 KB ID:	10087502
    Last edited by treystoys; 03-14-2023, 06:13 PM.

looks good.

Comment

I'm actually in the middle of doing this as well. I accidentally broke my factory airbox. My cardboard setup is very similar to yours.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

Thanks for the likes guys!

I don’t doubt it Soda! If you’re using a filter about the size of mine I bet there’s not a lot of other ways to do it 👍🏻 Are you using Ryan’s adapter as well? Post up some pics of yours too!

Trey

Comment

Originally posted by treystoys View Post
          Thanks for the likes guys!

I don’t doubt it Soda! If you’re using a filter about the size of mine I bet there’s not a lot of other ways to do it 👍🏻 Are you using Ryan’s adapter as well? Post up some pics of yours too!

Trey
          I have a MAF conversion from SSSquid tuning. So I don't need adapter. But I will show some pictures once done. If you go to member rides I have some pictures of my MAF setup. It is slightly different now. https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

Nice looking car you’ve got there! I’ll keep an eye out for updates 👍🏻 How do you like the maf conversion compared to the afm?

Comment

Originally posted by treystoys View Post
              Nice looking car you’ve got there! I’ll keep an eye out for updates 👍🏻 How do you like the maf conversion compared to the afm?
              Appreciate it. I really like it. I personally feel the throttle response is a lot better plus it's a cleaner install.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

I hear that, it’s def on my list for future projects. Just have a few in line ahead of it for now. This intake was a pacifier for the moment plus I can still use the shield later on.

Comment

treystoys You should market and sell that..I would certainly buy one if the price was reasonable..
                  sigpic
                  1988 E30 M3
                  Diamantschwarz/Black

Comment

”You should market and sell that..I would certainly buy one if the price was reasonable..”

I appreciate that! I thought about it prior to building this one, especially given the lack of one specifically for the m20, but I’m not sure how cost effective it would be. I’m in this about $216 just in parts. Not sure what the market would pay for one. My car is an early cooling system too, I know the later cars had a different hose routing and expansion tank.

Comment

I really like this, looks real good. Thanks for posting info, i may try this

Comment

“I really like this, looks real good. Thanks for posting info, i may try this”

No problem, and thanks for the compliment! I’m very pleased with it. I drove the car 3 days back and forth to work this week so far and can say throttle response is noticeably improved. I do believe the filter adapter needs to be the red eye garage version, as it sort of emulates the one in the oe air box. unless somebody else sells a velocity stack type adapter other than theirs. This project itself is not to difficult, just time consuming. Plan on a few hours test fitting the cardboard template to make life easier and then a few hours bending and adjusting the final product. If I had a cheap harbor freight brake I could have done it faster and a hair nicer, but for what it is, nobody would know any better, and it’s def serving it’s purpose.

I also did this this to my drivers grill this afternoon, which I’m sure e30 owners have done for years. Drilled and dremeled out the back portion to allow some more air into the shielded filter area. My grills are pretty ratty so I didn’t mind butchering this one to experiment 😜

Click image for larger version  Name:	096904A8-A2A1-4C90-A0DB-54D62497EEA3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.6 KB ID:	10087815

Trey
                        Last edited by treystoys; 03-14-2023, 06:22 PM. Reason: Spell check mishap

Comment

Originally posted by It's Soda Not Pop View Post

I have a MAF conversion from SSSquid tuning. So I don't need adapter. But I will show some pictures once done. If you go to member rides I have some pictures of my MAF setup. It is slightly different now. https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta
                          i was hoping to go a similar route with the maf from sssquid. they can't offer it right now, but i'm hoping they bring it back.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

i was hoping to go a similar route with the maf from sssquid. they can't offer it right now, but i'm hoping they bring it back.
                            What do you mean they can't offer it. I just got the newest version like a few weeks ago.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

Originally posted by It's Soda Not Pop View Post

What do you mean they can't offer it. I just got the newest version like a few weeks ago.
                              when did they start selling it ? i got a chip and injectors in the fall and asked about it at that time. it's a milder build, chip is a 1.5. have to say it was great customer service too.

Comment

Working...
                              X