Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 528e M20 6 Cyl. engine wiring harness

Hey everybody!

I am currently struggling trying to find a wiring harness that is for a 1987 528e M20 6 Cyl. engine, that would also be compatible to my 1988 325i since it will be added to it.

I recently bought my e30 and the old owner said he received it with the 528e engine but didn't get the harness with it so thought I'd give it a try, but there are so many options and just want to make sure I get the correct one.

Any links, suggestions, advice helps!​

'88 325 is super ETA and has a different harness/ecu than an '87 528e. '87 528 had bellhousing mounted crank sensors, different intake manifold, throttle body, injectors, etc etc.

Post up some photos of the engine in your car and we can help.

I have several harnesses available outside of Indy, but would need to see what motor is actually in your car first to get you the right one.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Here is the engine :)
      Im planning to put it in my e30

Comment

That is just a normal 325e engine- I wouldn't recommend putting that in your '88 car, but if you do, you would need a harness from an '86-'87 325e. I have one outside of Indy.

You should track down an m20b25 engine/harness from an 87-91 325i/iS/iC. It will work with your existing transmission.

Also I'm pretty sure I know the car you bought. A buddy named Jeff had it in Terre Haute.

Comment

Lol yes I got it from him!
          Thank you for the advice and the harness offer, I really appreciate you taking your time to explain to me the differences.

I think I’m going to LS swap it at this point, it seems like it’s the most convenient option for me atm since I already have the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by aileen2427 View Post
            Lol yes I got it from him!
            Thank you for the advice and the harness offer, I really appreciate you taking your time to explain to me the differences.

I think I’m going to LS swap it at this point, it seems like it’s the most convenient option for me atm since I already have the engine.
            The engine is the easiest and cheapest thing to acquire for an LS swap. A t56 alone is 3x what the entire shell costs. I would get an m20b25 and drop in the car and enjoy it.

An LS swap will cost $20k+, and projects of that magnitude get finished probably 1/50 times they're attempted. I don't know your skillset, so not saying it can't be done, but E30s are best driven, not as long term garage ornaments.

You could buy an m20b25 dropout and have it in the car and running in a weekend and really get to enjoy the E30 experience. I have a good m20b25 as well as harnesses and whatnot.

Comment

It makes sense, definitely going to consider.
              if I need anything else in the future for my car I will definitely be hitting you up!

I appreciate your advice!

Comment

Working...
              X