I am running out of options FAST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am running out of options FAST

Hi there I have a 1984 bmw 325e and I am having a particular issue that has led me to spend too much and stress too hard over this car without driving it. Every time I start the car it starts and then immediately goes to very low RPMs to where it's just above stalling and it can stay there until it warms up which is odd(see attached youtube clip). I have tried to replace many things and test many things; the P.O. did an awful job keeping up with the maintenance (replacing sensors and using OEM parts) and I have undone most of it so far. However, after doing everything listed below the thing still does the same thing. My next guess is to test the ECU plug to make sure everything is getting the connection there, and test the ICV valve resistance and make sure it's getting to the ECU. I also saw one post that talked about the Intake nut backing off causing a vacuum leak I have sprayed the engine with carb cleaner and smoke tested the engine and have not found anything but I will try to spray further down in the engine bay and see. I know there is a mention of the valve cover bolt needing to be tapped- I have sprayed that with carb cleaner to see if that revs it up but it didn't. I am coming very close to selling the motor and swapping the 350 SBC me and my dad have in our backyard into it and putting in a standalone ECU. I would love to save this motor with how much work and money I've put in and I could use the help! Thank you to all those that help out!

Misc.
    Vacuum leaks – Fixed Crankcase Leak, Intake Boot Leak, AFM leak, and Cold Start Injector leak
    Head gasket and other gaskets – New
    Brake Master Cylinder – new from P.O
    Timing Belt – New from P.O verified proper timing when reinstallation of head
    Made sure the Throttle Body Set Screw is set right
    Electronics
    02 sensor – new
    TPS – New and working correctly
    AFM – Rebuilt and working correctly
    Coolant Temp Sensor – New and working correctly
    Thermo Time Switch – New and working correctly
    Coolant Dash Sensor – New / fixed wiring
    ICV – is old but fixed wiring and seems to be working will have to test it still
    ECU – taken apart and looks okay will have to test connections and swap with another
    DME – Swapped with another, no change
    Alternator – New
    Fuel
    In-line Fuel pump – new
    Fuel Filter – New (1/2)
    Fuel Injectors – Rebuilt
    Fuel Rail – New
    Fuel Pressure Regulator – New
    Ignition
    Spark plugs – new but have been dumped with gas
    Cap and Rotor – not replaced but have new replacements
    Spark Plug Wires – not replaced
    Main Coil – Working and wired correctly
    Known Issue
    The valve Cover has a stripped bolt in the rear passenger side by the ground strap will need to tap
    Valves don’t know when they have been adjusted last.
    Wiring to Gauge Cluster has issues – Battery Light doesn’t go on always have to mess with wiring, RPM gauge doesn’t always work (75% doesn’t 25% does)
    Washer Fluid Reservoir Level Sensor needs replacement and reinstall reservoir
    Check the Brake always on
    While Diagnosing the issue found a coolant leak at the water pump to the thermostat hose (will replace it if I can figure out the idle issue)

​​
    video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

WOW! Looks like you've done a lot, I can understand being frustrated. The smoke test you did is the best way to confirm you have no air leaks and typically the air leaks cause high idle. You may want to run through the tests in this FAQ to confirm the sensors you replaced are reporting correctly to the ECU.

2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
      WOW! Looks like you've done a lot, I can understand being frustrated. The smoke test you did is the best way to confirm you have no air leaks and typically the air leaks cause high idle. You may want to run through the tests in this FAQ to confirm the sensors you replaced are reporting correctly to the ECU.
      http://www.verrill.com/car/e30_idlefaq.shtml
      Here is the web archive version of that link, just in case that site ever goes down.

and

Comment

sounds like the icv. generally where it goes when all else fails.
        edit : a bad icv normally will surge as it starts to fail.

Comment

nice. that's a link to hang on to.

Comment

That was my next step to test this and hope that the P.O. didn't mess with anymore wiring than he already did, Thank you for the links I will use those either today or tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
              sounds like the icv. generally where it goes when all else fails.
              edit : a bad icv normally will surge as it starts to fail.
              I still need to make sure the resistance is good on the ICV and that the signal is going to the ECU just fine, but those tests are coming, just glad to know I'm on the right track for testing.

Comment

yea unfortunately the first time owning an e30 so this wasn't too fun I just hope I find it, so then I have a car with lots of new parts at least lol

Comment

sounds like reference notch is missing out of flywheel, this is common on motronic 1.0

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                    I didnt swap out the flywheel, however the P.O. couldve done something stupid like that. If this wasnt changed out would there be a chance for it to break off?

Comment

Working...
                    X