Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another M20 Stroker config question - CA SMOG legal setup

Hello,

I am planning to swap the M10 in my 1982 E21 to an M20B25 stroker as part of its overall restoration project. Looking to build a CA SMOG legal M20 using stock intake, injectors, ECU, new cat... This is for a fun to drive reliable street E21. I am not chasing peak horsepower.

Option 1: 2.9L Mahle (2860cc)
    885 head with 272 cam (remember SMOG compliant)
    IE Mahle 2.9L Ultimate Street Stroker Piston (85mm bore)
    10:1 compression (new to work with 91 octane CA gas)
    84mm stroke crankshaft (M52 crank and 135mm rods)

Option 2: 2.8L (2823cc)
    885 head with 272 cam (remember SMOG compliant)
    86mm bore with Custom Pistons (probably via Top End Performance)
    10:1 compression ratio
    81mm stroke crankshaft (325e crank)

Anybody with any thoughts or opinions of these two options? I seen a few post indicating Option 2 works for SMOG with a properly rebuilt engine, ECU w/tune, and a new CAT (not one at its end of life from the donor E30). Option 1 probably similar.

My E21 blog is here (just at the start of this project):

All the best,
    Ricardo

option 1,

89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

So this is essentially the same thread.

I will update as I converge on a solution based upon conversations with different shops with E30 California SMOG experience.

Comment

the important thing is the camshaft and tuning, the rest barely even matters

the reason for option 1 was that its the better engine overall and wont impact in any meaningful way on SMOG
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          the important thing is the camshaft and tuning, the rest barely even matters

the reason for option 1 was that its the better engine overall and wont impact in any meaningful way on SMOG
          Can you chip-tune the 2.9? Assuming you can't megasquirt/standalone for smog.

Comment

Originally posted by Rev Run D View Post

Can you chip-tune the 2.9? Assuming you can't megasquirt/standalone for smog.
            Yes you can. Quality of outcome will depend on the knowledge and ability of the tuner and to some extent fuel setup and overall maintenance/function of the engine electronics

Comment

I think 272 cam is the most I would want to temp fate with. Even staying stock is an option. I like the Mahle MS piston setup and that would be my preferred path. In this specific case I will be going from a tired M10 in my E21 making maybe 90hp to a very fresh M20 motor with Motronic. I think I will notice a huge change in the performance of the car even if I stay entirely stock.

And I will end up at the local California Air Resources Board (CARB) referee station undergoing a visual inspection and a tail pipe test since I am doing an engine swap. So visually everything should be stock along with all the E30 emission control bits. Bore, pistons, and crankshaft are obviously not visible.
              Last edited by RicardoD; 11-16-2023, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RicardoD View Post
                I think 272 cam is the most I would want to temp fate with. Even staying stock is an option. I like the Mahle MS piston setup and that would be my preferred path. In this specific case I will be going from a tired M10 in my E21 making maybe 90hp to a very fresh M20 motor with Motronic. I think I will notice a huge change in the performance of the car even if I stay entirely stock.

And I will end up at the local California Air Resources Board (CARB) referee station undergoing a visual inspection and a tail pipe test since I am doing an engine swap. So visually everything should be stock along with all the E30 emission control bits. Bore, pistons, and crankshaft are obviously not visible.
                The stock camshaft is highly underrated for the street. If going with custom pistons then using the 81mm crank is a bit of a waste compared with 84mm and bigger than 84mm ought to be done with a bigger cam and itbs to maintain breathing so a 84 mm stroke is a reasonable compromise / sweet spot.

Comment

Working...
                X