White smoke after head gasket change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White smoke after head gasket change

Making a separate thread from my project because I'm freaking out and need help from you guys.

So I changed my head gasket out after I blew it with too much boost. There was a lot of white smoke and antifreeze in the oil when that happened.

Now it's all back together and besides some louder ticking from the valves it sounds and runs fine. However it looks like there is white smoke/vapor coming from my exhaust and a little from the valve cover vent tube.

When I replaced the HG I of course drained the oil, drained all coolant replaced the water pump, had the head skimmed, etc. ARPs torqued to 70 ft lbs. Hoping you tell me it's remnant fluid that was left in the oil pan? Could coolant be getting in to the cylinders from somewhere other than the headgasket? Or did I just install the headgasket wrong?

The only other thing I'm really hoping it is, is just condensation. It's 55 degrees and raining outside. But I swear I smell coolant 🤬
    '90 325is

did you check to make sure the head didn't warp ?

Comment

He said he got the head skimmed, so thats good.

Are you losing coolant? if not, id take it for a good drive to get rid of any condensation. and periodically check the coolant level.

I did a headgasket years ago on a mates mazda and when we started it up it poured coolant out the exhaust. gave me a hell of a scare. turned out there was a heap of coolant still sitting in the exhaust from when the gasket blew, not just condensation, cup falls of coolant sloshing around - the gasket blew good and proper. I was so paranoid I removed the exhaust manifold and started it up and ran it to make sure coolant wasn't coming out of the engine haha. then removed the exhaust and poured the coolant out.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post

Are you losing coolant? if not, id take it for a good drive to get rid of any condensation. and periodically check the coolant level.

I did a headgasket years ago on a mates mazda and when we started it up it poured coolant out the exhaust. gave me a hell of a scare. turned out there was a heap of coolant still sitting in the exhaust from when the gasket blew, not just condensation, cup falls of coolant sloshing around - the gasket blew good and proper. I was so paranoid I removed the exhaust manifold and started it up and ran it to make sure coolant wasn't coming out of the engine haha. then removed the exhaust and poured the coolant out.

No way! E30 Davie I think you are dead right!! Not losing coolant so I disconnected my downpipe from the turbo. Not one puff of white smoke! Must be sitting in the muffler. I'll take that off and see if I can dump anything out.
        '90 325is

Comment

Haha, there you go. My anecdote was useful. Hopefully that's all it is.

How bad did the gasket blow? Was it eating coolant like crazy?

Comment

i still check them myself after a bad experience with a sloppy shop.

nice catch !

Comment

Haha, there you go. My anecdote was useful. Hopefully that's all it is.

How bad did the gasket blow? Was it eating coolant like crazy?

When I blew the gasket it was sucking fluid good. Billowing white smoke.

I ended up taking the exhaust off and dumping it out. Only had like 2 tablespoons of coolant left in there. Put the exhaust back on started it up and and drove around without a puff of smoke. Thank goodness!
              '90 325is

Comment

Well that's a good outcome. Back to happy motoring.

Comment

Working...
                X