Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slight discoloration on cylinder walls towards the top (see pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jc1000 View Post

Was your build the same as mine (budget stroker) or just an M20B25?
    Same build with essentially the same goals.

Phase 1 - M20b27 with 9.5:1 Compression, 280/274 cam, adjustable cam gear, custom Mark D chip, RD Headers, Stromung exhaust

Phase 2 - Add Megasquirt 2 with wasted spark

Phase 3 - Turbo
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Same build with essentially the same goals.

Phase 1 - M20b27 with 9.5:1 Compression, 280/274 cam, adjustable cam gear, custom Mark D chip, RD Headers, Stromung exhaust

Phase 2 - Add Megasquirt 2 with wasted spark

Phase 3 - Turbo
      Nice! Did you deck the block at all?

I have another thread here where I was trying to understand what I need to tell the machine shop so they know exactly how much to take off the block. Do you have any advice on that?

Comment

Nice! Did you deck the block at all?

I have another thread here where I was trying to understand what I need to tell the machine shop so they know exactly how much to take off the block. Do you have any advice on that?
        I did. I had them Clean the block, check for cracks, cut the main caps and align hone (using ARP Studs), use a torque plate to bore and hone the cylinders 0.50mm over (using ARP Studs), deck the block about 2mm to restore factory quench (using a stock gasket).

I already had the crank magnafluxed for cracks, polished, and balanced. Connecting rod caps were cut and big end was bored (using ARP bolts), small end honed. Head was checked for cracks, new valve guides, new valve stem seals, 5 angle valve grind, surfaced the mating surface.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

deck the block about 2mm to restore factory quench (using a stock gasket).
          What did you tell the machine shop for them to get this exactly right?

If you take them the head and a stock gasket, will they know what to do from there? And does it depend on the cam selected?

digger said on this thread that the squish is 1mm +- 0.1. Is that what you used?

Comment

What did you tell the machine shop for them to get this exactly right?

If you take them the head and a stock gasket, will they know what to do from there? And does it depend on the cam selected?

digger said on this thread that the squish is 1mm +- 0.1. Is that what you used?
            If you're going to use ARP studs, they'll need the studs. Otherwise, they can use the old head bolts for fitting it.

I took them the head and sent them a new head gasket because they didn't have a used on one hand. They were told to measure the assemble the rotating assembly with the 81mm crank, 130mm rods, and new pistons. Then deck the block to bring the piston to deck height back to the stock measurement. I don't know if they measured, but I plan to measure everything as I begin to assemble it.

Honestly, a competent shop will know how to approach it.
            sigpic

Comment

there is a difference between factory squish clearance vs optimum. it probably matters more for a NA engine as you need all the help you can get
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
              X