Mark D 6900RPM chip vs stock rockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark D 6900RPM chip vs stock rockers

Engine is a stock M20B25. What's the likelihood I'll blow up the stock rockers by raising the redline from 6500RPM to 6900RPM? I autocross, so the rev limiter does get used a bit.

If the chances are not favorable, what's the minimum rocker upgrade that will be reliable at that level?

Any other issues I should be thinking about?

Thanks!
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

I asked Mard D that question and he wasn't concerned about it at all. That's all I know on the subject.
    1987 E30 325is
    1999 E46 323i
    RIP 1994 E32 740iL
    oo=[][]=oo

Comment

your rockers are more likely to fail just from old age and fatigue, poor adjustment or $shifting than they are from a high redline.

also, for autox I'd rather have a much higher redline and avoid bouncing off the limit, rather than one that forces me to hammer on it for long periods of time. That's part of why I set mine over 7,000.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yep...

More info on it. Blipping over the red line and $shifts along with weak springs cause a lot of them. RPM's alone don't always do it. That guy whill really knows what he is talking about, trust me.

http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/vbb/sho...threadid=13671
        1987 E30 325is
        1999 E46 323i
        RIP 1994 E32 740iL
        oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Originally posted by funcrew View Post
          Engine is a stock M20B25. What's the likelihood I'll blow up the stock rockers by raising the redline from 6500RPM to 6900RPM? I autocross, so the rev limiter does get used a bit.

If the chances are not favorable, what's the minimum rocker upgrade that will be reliable at that level?

Any other issues I should be thinking about?

Thanks!
          From what i know many pattern rockers do not have the quality of oem rockers - i know a few who have raced pretty wild m20s and oe rockers have not posed problems at much higher rpms than standard - also the cam lift and valve spring pressures have a lot of bearing on the reliability of rockers not to mention usage style - miss shifts etc

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            your rockers are more likely to fail just from old age and fatigue, poor adjustment or $shifting than they are from a high redline.

also, for autox I'd rather have a much higher redline and avoid bouncing off the limit, rather than one that forces me to hammer on it for long periods of time. That's part of why I set mine over 7,000.
            Curious argument, because I never had any luck with going past 6500rpm. My motors were in very good shape, which if you're correct, then my valve adjustments (.010 cold) must have been the problem.
            Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
            EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
            FullOpp Stickers for sale!
            NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
            Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
            ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

what's good shape though?

and a lot of the rockers had poor castings with big holes in them. Worn springs will also contribute (valve float).
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I had the 7100 rpm chip for over 4 years. With multiple track days i never saw a issue.

Comment

Working...
                X