Hi Friends.
Ive been off of here for quite some time dealing with the depressing sight of my dead e30 Alpina Tribute. I was running RHD's ITB setup on my original m20b25 and was having fun with it running around town, dropping kids off at school and playing with autotune over time. Unfortunately for me I neglected one of the cardinal rules of vehicle ownership in checking fluids over time and unfortunately for me I blew my engine after I ran it with basically no oil going home after dropping kids off at school. Long story short, all that playing around with tuning and such and running rich basically burned off my engine oil and my idiot light wiring was broken (unbenownst to me and only found out after tearing everything down) and overheated the motor and seized it up. Basically, I was an idiot.
2 years later I thought I was close to firing up a brand new 3.1L build with the following spec sheet and have been having some issues.
Stock block, bored to 86mm
Ross 9.5:1 pistons, with the optional deflection rings for oil control ring
Forged H-beam rods from ireland engineering 135mm
S52 crankshaft with the front main seal adapter
ARP rod and head bolts
Camshaft is a new 288/280
stock valves/springs
HD rockers with new rocker shafts
Nuke performance adjustable cam gear
Windage Tray in oil pan
Cylinder head has been welded at failure point on coolant ports
Cometic MLS headgasket of stock height
The engine was built 5 years ago or so and has sat up until last month. Got the accessories put on and engine dropped into engine bay and things were looking good. I am not a MS expert by any stretch, maybe barely a rookie but thats all I will claim. My hope was that I could use the factory intake system (intake manifold, AFM, etc) along with my 19# matched injectors and stock ecu to just break the engine in and then go back to the awesome ITB's from RHD and enjoy from there.
The issue I have been having is that the motor will not turn over at all (or at least longer than 5-10 seconds). I was at my wits end so had the car towed to a local BMW independent who has gone thru the whole car and cant find anything amiss besides it not running off this current setup. Meaning spark, fuel, timing, engine harness etc are all in good working order.
My question is this: how do I go about breaking this engine in properly/safely? My take at this point is to go back to the ITB's and MS and see if it will run well enough to break the motor in, dump the Gibbs break in oil and put in the new oil and begin syncing the ITB's and getting it tuned up. My concern is that it wont run well enough with a new build that has sat and hasnt been broken in and might do more harm than good.
What do the experts that have dealt with this think is the best course of action is?
Ive been off of here for quite some time dealing with the depressing sight of my dead e30 Alpina Tribute. I was running RHD's ITB setup on my original m20b25 and was having fun with it running around town, dropping kids off at school and playing with autotune over time. Unfortunately for me I neglected one of the cardinal rules of vehicle ownership in checking fluids over time and unfortunately for me I blew my engine after I ran it with basically no oil going home after dropping kids off at school. Long story short, all that playing around with tuning and such and running rich basically burned off my engine oil and my idiot light wiring was broken (unbenownst to me and only found out after tearing everything down) and overheated the motor and seized it up. Basically, I was an idiot.
2 years later I thought I was close to firing up a brand new 3.1L build with the following spec sheet and have been having some issues.
Stock block, bored to 86mm
Ross 9.5:1 pistons, with the optional deflection rings for oil control ring
Forged H-beam rods from ireland engineering 135mm
S52 crankshaft with the front main seal adapter
ARP rod and head bolts
Camshaft is a new 288/280
stock valves/springs
HD rockers with new rocker shafts
Nuke performance adjustable cam gear
Windage Tray in oil pan
Cylinder head has been welded at failure point on coolant ports
Cometic MLS headgasket of stock height
The engine was built 5 years ago or so and has sat up until last month. Got the accessories put on and engine dropped into engine bay and things were looking good. I am not a MS expert by any stretch, maybe barely a rookie but thats all I will claim. My hope was that I could use the factory intake system (intake manifold, AFM, etc) along with my 19# matched injectors and stock ecu to just break the engine in and then go back to the awesome ITB's from RHD and enjoy from there.
The issue I have been having is that the motor will not turn over at all (or at least longer than 5-10 seconds). I was at my wits end so had the car towed to a local BMW independent who has gone thru the whole car and cant find anything amiss besides it not running off this current setup. Meaning spark, fuel, timing, engine harness etc are all in good working order.
My question is this: how do I go about breaking this engine in properly/safely? My take at this point is to go back to the ITB's and MS and see if it will run well enough to break the motor in, dump the Gibbs break in oil and put in the new oil and begin syncing the ITB's and getting it tuned up. My concern is that it wont run well enough with a new build that has sat and hasnt been broken in and might do more harm than good.
What do the experts that have dealt with this think is the best course of action is?

Comment