only starts 1/2 the time????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only starts 1/2 the time????

Hi i have an 89 325i and i am having a problem diagnosing the trouble.
    ok the car has a 2.7 out of an earlier car(i did not do this and i have another 2.5 that im building for the car) anyway the car will only start sometimes. when it doesnt start if i open the hood and unplug the idle control valve and spray starting fluid in it, it will usually start. Sometimes i have to repeat the process 3 0r 4 times. Now i have replaced the icv, mass air, pludgs, adjusted valves, checked for vaccum leaks and relaced the fuel pressure regulator. No luck! In my research i ehaved learned that the 2.7 is supposed to have a cold start valve and mine does not, but could that be the cause?? also i have noticded the 2.5 cars have 2 fuel pumps, one in tank and one in line, my car only has the in tank one the fuel pressure was in spec when tested, but could it not be on initial prime.
    usually after driving the car it will start righ up, but sometimes it wont, or it will start and then sound like it runs outta gas and ill have to pop the hood and unplug and spray again.

Sorry for the long ass post, but ive been trying to figure it out 4 a while. Any help is appreciated

Scott my car

Is it throwing any codes? Have you checked the DME for stored codes? Could be a coolant temp sensor, I was having trouble starting mine and the DME said it was the problem. Also, your car only has one fuel pump IIRC, the in tank one. I do not believe your car has a cold start valve either, I thought that might be the problem on mine too and never found it. Have you checked the vacuum lines going from the throttle body to the canister and canister out? I had to replace those in mine and it helped too. What head is on the car? 200 or 885? The PO couldve done a budget stroker in that car, which may be a good thing.

Comment

here are a couple of my threads, read and see if they are any help:

Check your grounds too.

Comment

Without looking at the car it is hard to say what might have been done. An ETA engine transplant done correctly would have the harness and DME from an ETA, which would include the cold start valve. Other permutations are possible and they might dispense with said valve.

What DME is in the car?

I think the most likely cause of this would be a lean start, which might be from a lack of a cold start valve but could just as easily be the result of an intake leak. The definitive test for an intake leak is a smoke test of the intake.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
        X