Wideband o2 sensor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wideband o2 sensor.

So I think my o2 sensor is taking a shit. So I want to upgrade to a wideband so I can have a AFR guage since I bought that W.A.R. Chip and all. The way I see it I have to buy a stock narrow band o2 to replace the old one, then buy a AFR kit that has a WB o2 sensor, drill a hole in my exhaust and run it completely seperate from the other becuase the ecu only works with a narrowband o2, is this right or am I connfused? Is that called a "stand alone" system? Also who all is running a WB AFR on there m20?
    Last edited by T Verdier; 08-03-2009, 03:49 PM.

Just run a narrowband O2 with a gauge, you don't really need it to be super accurate considering you're NA. Also I would look into a dyno tune, if its that important to you.

If you wanted a WB o2 I would suggest going full standalone with MS/VEMS/AEM, I have never used a wideband O2 on the stock computer however.

Comment

Thanks would there be any point to having my car pro tuned since the only mods I have are the miller maf and WAR chip? I geuss when I put my 17lb injectors it would be a good idea.

Comment

I have no experience with the WAR chip, but if its as user friendly as I've heard I would just go for it yourself.

Comment

uhh danny it doesn't matter if you are N/A, tuning with a narrowband is pretty well pointless. There also isn't really any need to dyno tune your fuel map if you have an effective wideband, datalogging and time.

and yes you would see some benefit to tuning it. you'd want something with two outputs like the LC-1 - the wide band output goes to your gauge, the narrowband output goes to the computer. Datalogging is a much more effective way to tune of course, I don't know what the W.A.R. chip offers in that area.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            uhh danny it doesn't matter if you are N/A, tuning with a narrowband is pretty well pointless. There also isn't really any need to dyno tune your fuel map if you have an effective wideband, datalogging and time.

and yes you would see some benefit to tuning it. you'd want something with two outputs like the LC-1 - the wide band output goes to your gauge, the narrowband output goes to the computer. Datalogging is a much more effective way to tune of course, I don't know what the W.A.R. chip offers in that area.
            Thank you so much, thats the exact info i needed. LC-1 has both nice.

Comment

LC-1 is a bitch to setup, from my experience. I've had no luck but Nando swears by them.

Comment

I don't think it was that hard, I doubt I spent more than 10 minutes on mine. I think you can even leave it on the defaults and it will work fine, but hooking up a laptop and changing the ouputs isn't really difficult. It also does datalogging with the included serial cable.

grounds are extremely important to any wideband though, and the LC-1 does seem to be more sensitive to them than others (it's also faster). My stock wiring has worked flawlessly so far.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Did you run the NB o2 wire going into the ecu harness replacing the old one?

Comment

basically, yes, except I'm using a wideband output instead.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I like the Lc1, it's one of the most accurate, and real easy to use.
                      On the plus side if you for some reason fry one of your outputs (allot of user error here)
                      they'll give you a new controller.

OP: can you give use some screen shots of the "war chip" ?

Comment

I drilled a hole in the side of the ecu casing to run the USB and 4 way switch out of

Comment

Would be nice to see some screen shots.
                          I haven't even seen one with so many people that have
                          bought this thing on the forums.

Comment

Comment

nice, does it do datalogging?
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X