head bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head bolts?

IM looking for some new torx head bolts for my 87 325is? wheres a good place to get them and how do you torque them?

Bought mine here
    McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Torqued with this
    Official website for CRAFTSMAN®. Explore power tools, outdoor equipment, hand tools, storage products and more.

Comment

metric blues are a good replacement for stock, iirc they can be retorqued too
      -Andy

Comment

ok so i bought teh torque bolts from pelican parts they Are torx. im not sure what size head.. and how do i tighten each one ? like 30nm... then what?

Comment

should have upgraded to the hex style bolts that the later motors came with.
          Regardless, here are the specs per the Bentley:

Stage 1: 30Nm (22 ft. lbs.)
          Stage 2: 90°
          Stage 3: 90°

On engines with Torx head bolts, the torque angles can be done with engine cold. There is no specified waiting time or engine temperature.

Torque Sequence: "O" are head bolts.

Hope this diagram makes sense

front of engine --->

12---10---4-----2----6----8----14
          O___O___O___O___O___O___O

13---7-----5----1----3-----9----11

Comment

Originally posted by dashboardmonkey View Post
            metric blues are a good replacement for stock, iirc they can be retorqued too
            yuck

they aren't really headbolts, they're just bolts that happen to be the same thread pitch and length as E30 bolts. who knows what the quality is. Stock bolts are cheap and work great on a stock motor.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

where can i get the stcok head bolts from.. and what is the torque for them. I saw it in the bentley but i dont understand it really?

Comment

You said you already bought bolts from Pelican. Use them, they will be fine. I believe they are a t12 or t14 head (inverted torx socket).

I just gave everything to you straight from the bentley. 90° is the angle you have to turn them. Take a breaker bar and a right angle (with degree marks) and go at it. This is the cheap ass way to do it, but it works. The other option is to buy a torque angle wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by yert315 View Post
                  The Torx ones are replacements for the early hex style that the heads were known to break off.
                  My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                  4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Regardless, here are the specs per the Bentley:

Stage 1: 30Nm (22 ft. lbs.)
                    Stage 2: 90°
                    Stage 3: 90°

On engines with Torx head bolts, the torque angles can be done with engine cold. There is no specified waiting time or engine temperature.

Torque Sequence: "O" are head bolts.

Hope this diagram makes sense

front of engine --->

12---10---4-----2----6----8----14

13---7-----5----1----3-----9----11

Do this^^^

This is backwards. The torx heads replace the old hex heads.
                    Your pelican bolts will be fine. I have inverted torx sockets you can borrow if you want to come to Taylors, or you can buy them at Advance Auto Parts like I did.
                    sigpic

Comment

Torque angle wrenches really aren't that expensive

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I made a torque angle gauge with an old CD and a protractor :p
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          I made a torque angle gauge with an old CD and a protractor :p
                          use a prpotracvtor, like the cd idea.sure go tplenty of dead ones around

Comment

IMO, for achieving the 90/90 angle torque, just take a chisle on the head of the bolt and make a perfect verticle mark on each headbolt, after initially torqued with torque wrench. That will eliminate that angle torque guage stuff.
                            Supatek -noun - your basic know it all

Comment

I just used a craftsman torque wrench to 22lb/ft and then used a 18" breaker bar with the E-14 torx socket and it worked like a charm. Forget about using a standard length rachet for the second round of 90 degrees, get a long breaker bar and it will be like nothing
                              "In God we trust. All others must bring data." -W. E. Deming

/// 1987 325is /// Project Thread
                              Past: 87 is, 88ix, 88 i, 87 ic, 89 ix, 17 others.

Comment

Working...
                              X