Quick Valve Adjustment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Valve Adjustment question

The 6 year old Pelican article photo doesn't provide me enough info, how do I know when a cylinder is at TDC? Should the exhaust side cam lobe be pointing straight down? I'm using the old "put it in 5th gear and push it" method.
    Also, there should be a little play in the rocker arm up and down right? Because I'm adjusting the gap where the up and down play is at its max.
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

You should be able to get away with doing both valves in one rotation. When the "V" space between the intake and exhaust cam lobes pointing directly down you should be able to adjust both for each cylinder.

The clearences are .25mm COLD. Make sure the car is atleast under 20 degress C.'

Also, another tip if you want the exact clearence I recommend removing or even cutting a small piece of the .25mm feeler off the feeler gauge set, so you can set it independently between the top of the valve and the rocker, then adjust the eccentric so there's no play with the gauge set between but not too tight, tighten adjuster screw, then remove the feeler gauge.

The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. Do #1 first the #5 will be the next closest cylinder to tdc.

Also, it's easier to jack up one of the rear sides and turn the wheel in 5th gear instead of pushing(open differential only though)

Comment

i just bump the starter lol

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
      i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
      Originally posted by slammin.e28
      Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
        I use a long handle 22mm wrench on the big crank bolt, just have to keep slight pressure when the cyl is on a firing stroke to let the pressure bleed down a bit.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by otto325e View Post
          You should be able to get away with doing both valves in one rotation. When the "V" space between the intake and exhaust cam lobes pointing directly down you should be able to adjust both for each cylinder.

The clearences are .25mm COLD. Make sure the car is atleast under 20 degress C.'

Also, another tip if you want the exact clearence I recommend removing or even cutting a small piece of the .25mm feeler off the feeler gauge set, so you can set it independently between the top of the valve and the rocker, then adjust the eccentric so there's no play with the gauge set between but not too tight, tighten adjuster screw, then remove the feeler gauge.

The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. Do #1 first the #5 will be the next closest cylinder to tdc.

Also, it's easier to jack up one of the rear sides and turn the wheel in 5th gear instead of pushing(open differential only though)
          By V space, you mean the thing I highlighted here in red? That moves along with the rocker arms?

And yep, I did all that. I'm following it in accordance to the Bentley and Pelican article, and i'm worried that I'm not at TDC. My car has an LSD though.

You did that button thing?
          Originally posted by TSI
          OEM+

Comment

i was going to do the button, but i got lazy so i just pull the coil wire off and turn the key for like 1/4 second lol

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
            i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
            Originally posted by slammin.e28
            Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

v space is the space between the two things you circled (cam lobes). When both are off the high part you can adjust both the valves on the same cyl.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

i was going to do the button, but i got lazy so i just pull the coil wire off and turn the key for like 1/4 second lol
                word haha, I think that's the route i'm going to go for next. I hate pushing a car in 5th gear..up a hill..by myself..in the slippery asphalt because of the amount of oil and coolant i've spilled over and over and over again..

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                v space is the space between the two things you circled (cam lobes). When both are off the high part you can adjust both the valves on the same cyl.
                Oh, thanks! I'll go look for that V-space now.
                Originally posted by TSI
                OEM+

Comment

The cam will rotate backwards.

1. Combustion and downstroke(both valves closed with both lobes pointed toward the ground)

2. Exhaust pushout upstroke(exhaust lobe comes around first)

3. air/fuel intake downstroke(exhaust valve closes and intake opens immediatly after)

4. compression then back to 1

Four stoke motor = 2 top dead centres but one for combustion and the other for breathing
                  Last edited by otto325e; 11-19-2010, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by otto325e View Post
                    The cam will rotate backwards.

1. Combustion and downstroke(both valves closed with both lobes pointed toward the ground)

2. Exhaust pushout upstroke(exhaust lobe comes around first)

3. air/fuel intake downstroke(exhaust valve closes and intake opens immediatly after)

4. compression then back to 1

Four stoke motor = 2 top dead centres but one for combustion and the other for breathing
                    Okay cool, thanks man! I was adjusting my valves when both lobes were pointing downwards.
                    Originally posted by TSI
                    OEM+

Comment

I like to take a crayon or tire marker and write 1 2 3 4 5 6 on the windshield, and then X each one out when I adjust those valves. Makes it easy to keep track of which ones are done since the firing order isn't 1 -> 6. That way I can start at the one closest to TDC and turn the crank with a wrench just enough to do the next set of lobes that are pointing down without loosing track of the ones that are done. You can do the adjustment within 1 full revolution of the camshaft easily this way.

Its easier to turn the engine over with the spark plugs removed. Biggest issue I had was with hand clearance to move the wrench, not effort.

And the particular cylinder you are adjusting does not need to be at exactly TDC, just make sure both lobes (the V-space, or the part you have circled) for that cylinder are pointing down. A good portion of the back side of the lobe on the cam is the same diameter, so as long as you are close it'll have the same gap.
                      Ben
                      Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
                      April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
                      May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
                      October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
                      October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
                      Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

Comment

Good idea with a crayon, I have a dry-erase board in the shop, markers would also work.

As far as turning the crank with a wrench, I have one that's about 18" long so my hand is just above the radiator hose and use the open end to move it to the next wrench flat easily.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

Make it easy on yourself and use the starter circuit in the diagnostic connector and bump the starter to turn it over.
                          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                          4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by NigelStu View Post
                            I like to take a crayon or tire marker and write 1 2 3 4 5 6 on the windshield, and then X each one out when I adjust those valves. Makes it easy to keep track of which ones are done since the firing order isn't 1 -> 6. That way I can start at the one closest to TDC and turn the crank with a wrench just enough to do the next set of lobes that are pointing down without loosing track of the ones that are done. You can do the adjustment within 1 full revolution of the camshaft easily this way.

Its easier to turn the engine over with the spark plugs removed. Biggest issue I had was with hand clearance to move the wrench, not effort.

And the particular cylinder you are adjusting does not need to be at exactly TDC, just make sure both lobes (the V-space, or the part you have circled) for that cylinder are pointing down. A good portion of the back side of the lobe on the cam is the same diameter, so as long as you are close it'll have the same gap.
                            Good idea with the crayon!
                            And thanks, I was getting real worried that I wasn't adjusting it right at TDC.

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                            Make it easy on yourself and use the starter circuit in the diagnostic connector and bump the starter to turn it over.
                            I'll try the "turning the key for a quarter of a second" method..and if that fails then i'll resort to that. I'll definitely do it the next time i'm adjusting my valves though.
                            Originally posted by TSI
                            OEM+

Comment

On a related note, semi thread jack. Is 110.00 a good price for a valve adjust and gasket?
                              sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Working...
                              X