Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not just tune your own Motronic chip?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not just tune your own Motronic chip?

Isn’t the whole idea of these forums is that we can enjoy our E30 car without spending too much money? The less we spend the more we enjoy our E30.
    About two years ago I wrote XDF files for Tunerpro software, where you can tune your own E30 ecu. I was the first person to do it. Why be in the darkness about ECU tuning while other car enthusiasts are enjoying tuning their stock ecu on nissans, Hondas, etc…

These cars are so old that you shouldn’t have to spend $200 for a performance chip, when you can tune your own over and over again for $50 invested. And you can tune other BMWs, like OBD1 E36. It is no longer a secret, anyone can do it. It is about the same as tuning megasquirt or any other aftermarket ECU system.

Motronic ecu is not that bad, it controls fuel and timing and that is a big plus. The barn door AFM looks restrictive but in fact it is not, high end porsches have it too.

What most expensive chip tuners do to chip program is that they advance the timing maps, richen or lean fuel maps, depending on upgrades, and raise rev limit. That’s it. You can do that too and make your own custom tune. Or you can just download some of already tuned files and enjoy.

To make your own chip tune for Motronic ecu you will need:

Eprom programmer $40 ebay (Universal Willem EPROM programmer PCB5.0)
    Flash eproms $20 (SST 27SF256 from china) you get 10 eproms but you only need one, but its nice to have extra, they are erasable, like USB flash drive, they can be reprogrammed over and over again.
    Tunerpro tuning software, FREE, XDF files and BIN files, FREE, from http://tunerpro.net/

Already tuned files at http://forum.ecuproject.com/ registration required, there are few members there who tech support the tuning and share files, so you will not be alone. .
    If you want to tune your motronic in real time than you will need to buy eprom emulator ostrich2.0 from moates.net $175

Fact is I discovered more motronic secrets that not even expensive tuners know, like injector constant, lambda feedback on or off, idle speed and many other things. One very good E30 tuner is member DMCL from Ireland, I tried his aggressive racing tune and I can say that I am impressed.

photo of eprom emulator installed on the ECU:

Photo of Tunerpro software
    [img]
    Watch a youtube video here on how emulation works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi_cQODTO8c
    Last edited by HakenTT; 03-17-2011, 01:36 AM.

wait, so would you have to have a laptop plugged in at all times?
    seems pretty cool!
    what do you mean tune your motronic in real time, im sorry im a huge noob, but would love to learn this.

Comment

Originally posted by devon.818 View Post
      wait, so would you have to have a laptop plugged in at all times?
      seems pretty cool!
      what do you mean tune your motronic in real time, im sorry im a huge noob, but would love to learn this.
      real time means, you are tuning the map while engine is running, same as megasquirt. Once you are done with tune you don't need to keep the laptop plugged in.

Comment

you only need the eprom emulator to tune in real time right?
        you can still do all the good stuff and spending only the 50 bucks?
        i think it would be cool to learn.
        would this also apply to the 24v?

Comment

tunerpro.org is down. but this seems like a promising thread
          Originally posted by TSI
          ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
          OEM+

Comment

Maybe he was referring to this site, http://tunerpro.net?
            E30 325ic - Project
            F30 328i - Daily
            E38 740i Sport - SOLD
            E92 335xi - SOLD
            E60 525xi - SOLD
            E46 330ci - SOLD
            E30 325ic - SOLD
            E30 318is - SOLD

Comment

Interesting, please elaborate some more.
              @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Isn’t the whole idea of these forums is that we can enjoy our E30 car without spending too much money? The less we spend the more we enjoy our E30.
                About two years ago I wrote XDF files for Tunerpro software, where you can tune your own E30 ecu. I was the first person to do it. Why be in the darkness about ECU tuning while other car enthusiasts are enjoying tuning their stock ecu on nissans, Hondas, etc…
                I agree with you 100% here

These cars are so old that you shouldn’t have to spend $200 for a performance chip, when you can tune your own over and over again for $50 invested. And you can tune other BMWs, like OBD1 E36. It is no longer a secret, anyone can do it. It is about the same as tuning megasquirt or any other aftermarket ECU system.
                You are not paying for the hardware, you are paying for the development of the software inside the chip witch takes time to develop and master, and is not even close to tuning mega-squirt

What most expensive chip tuners do to chip program is that they advance the timing maps, richen or lean fuel maps, depending on upgrades, and raise rev limit. That’s it. You can do that too and make your own custom tune. Or you can just download some of already tuned files and enjoy.
                There is far more involved then what you have stated, and however awesome tuner pro is, it still can't do a lot of things needed to do a proper tune for more advanced set-ups and therefore you must edit the bin in raw hex

Fact is I discovered more motronic secrets that not even expensive tuners know, like injector constant, lambda feedback on or off, idle speed and many other things. One very good E30 tuner is member DMCL from Ireland, I tried his aggressive racing tune and I can say that I am impressed.
                Believe me there is a few tuners that could light you on fire with there knowledge and make you look purity silly hankenTT, nothing you have discovered is new to them, because they have disassembled the binarys

DMCL is banned from ecuconnections for selling & exchanging copyright files from top tuners

for those who wish to tune there own cars, tunerpro might be the solution for you, but don't expect overnight results and a motor that still runs nice. If you have all the time in the world to learn, then tunerpro is for you!
                Last edited by Midnighttuning; 03-15-2011, 05:57 PM.
                BarrieM/// BMW Tuner

Email:midnight-tuning@rogers.com

Comment

HakanTT:

Don't let your head get too big or it may explode. I know where all sorts of stuff is, but don't always change it as I want to make it harder for people like you who look at what I do. You are the guy who is even posting in another section here that the 173 ECU has no checksum and asking why I re-calculate it. You are a retard.

If you think I don't know how to change idle speed and the other parameters you mentioned, you really are pretty dumb. I was doing that about 15 years ago on the M20. I'm saving the best till I have my encrytion board ready.
                  Last edited by MarkD; 03-15-2011, 06:26 PM.
                  URL: www.dsylva-tech.ca

Comment

^ nice Mark. Nice

I want to buy one of your chips btw... wish I had the cash right now...

running any specials soon?
                    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
                      ^ nice Mark. Nice

I want to buy one of your chips btw... wish I had the cash right now...

running any specials soon?
                      There is the March sale running right now with chips at $185. See the GB section.
                      If you can't swing it right now, just email me when you can and I'll take care of you. :)
                      URL: www.dsylva-tech.ca

Comment

Here is the PM I just received from DMCL incase anyone is curious

I had a good laugh!!

i
                        ts dmcl here.. u know the guy u banned with that bullshit "selling copyright material" line.

what in utter f*ck do u think u are playing at and where do u get off firstly of even accusing me of selling duped files. i sell chips, they are my own tunes/files, why would i need to copy files that are WORSE than my own files? what u just wanting an excuse to ban me because im not posting much these days? not giving u any more useful files/info for midnight tuning? is that what it is? please feel free to prove me wrong and unban my account or re-affirm my current belief that u are using this forum to rake in info and files for ur own benefit by leaving my account banned and banning this one in which case u should actually ban yourself instead of making a mockery of everyone elses hard work.

if u do as i think and ignore this message and also ban this account i will tell anyone and everyone who will listen what u are actually doing here with this site since i am one to hold a grudge.

have a nice day.
                        BarrieM/// BMW Tuner

Email:midnight-tuning@rogers.com

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                          tunerpro.org is down. but this seems like a promising thread
                          I just fixed the link.

you only need the eprom emulator to tune in real time right?
                          you can still do all the good stuff and spending only the 50 bucks?
                          i think it would be cool to learn.
                          would this also apply to the 24v?
                          Yes, you only need a $175 eprom emulator to tune in real time. You can see what part of the map ecu is watching then you change values and you can see a reaction in real time.

You can do all the good stuff with investing only $60 but you will have to tune, remove, reflash, retune, reflash, install.

You are not paying for the hardware, you are paying for the development of the software
                          One day on the dyno, how much does the tuner invest? $200 total? Then goes and sells chips for 10 years for $200 each. I already developed the software and I am doing it for free. I invested lots of my time to give it for free to community, why can't you do the same? Why does MarkD only wants to make money on community, why doesn't he share something for free, like I am doing?

Don't let your head get too big or it may explode.
                          You hate me now because I want to help BMW community

Comment

in for more details and info
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HakenTT View Post
                              I just fixed the link.

Yes, you only need a $175 eprom emulator to tune in real time. You can see what part of the map ecu is watching then you change values and you can see a reaction in real time.

You can do all the good stuff with investing only $60 but you will have to tune, remove, reflash, retune, reflash, install.

One day on the dyno, how much does the tuner invest? $200 total? Then goes and sells chips for 10 years for $200 each. I already developed the software and I am doing it for free. I invested lots of my time to give it for free to community, why can't you do the same? Why does MarkD only wants to make money on community, why doesn't he share something for free, like I am doing?

You hate me now because I want to help BMW community

thanks for the info hackenTT. when i figure out my plans for my car i'll prolly try to learn some of this stuff, but definately gonna have a stock ecu on hand just in case lol.

ignore the thread crapping, you wanted to share something and help out without gaining anything in return, good for you and i dont see why anyone would be in a position to flame you.

DO WORK SON!

Comment

Working...
                              X