Won't Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't Run

I have searched...that is how I have done what I have done already.

1992 E30 M20 Convertible speed

Sorry for the length.....

Car just stopped running after about 1 minute ..no warning...studdering etc. Just stopped.

Changed the fuel pump
    Changed the CPS
    Changed the relays
    Changed the ECU
    Changed the Coil

The fuel pump runs when I jump it but does not run when not jumped.
    Fuse 11 has no power

It will now start (sometimes) after I "check" all the connectors/wires etc (wiggle them). and will idle 20+ minutes but when I try to drive it it runs for about 1 minute and then quits.

I checked the plug wire per Bentley and they are fine...

When I pull a plug wire and crank the car I do not see any spark but I am not sure how else to check for spark.

I looked for fusable links but did not find anything like that..battery is in the front.

I am really unsure where to go next. Suggestions would be great.

Thanks
    Bob
    03 325xiT/5

Fpr? Icv?

Comment

The ICV buzzes when the key is on but havent checked it. Would the ICV keep the car from starting?

I have not checked the FPR...will do that next.

THanks
      03 325xiT/5

Comment

I dont think it will keep it from starting but not 100% sure.

Sounds like you have some faulty wires somewhere

Comment

Where the ECU is located there is a set of plugs that bolt into the same holes as the screws for the ecu. There is a black on and a white one...the black one on my car is plugged into the harness but the white one has nothing plugged into it...is that correct? I just fell like there used to be something plugged into the white one.

Anyway

Just thought of it
          03 325xiT/5

Comment

If the ICV buzzes when the ignition is on, the DME is running. The lack of spark and fuel pump operation in that case will likely be the crank position sensor. Replace it with a new part.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

CPS was replaced yesterday...no difference.
              03 325xiT/5

Comment

Checked the alternator yet?
                @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Run through the following:

For the engine to run the following conditions must be met:

Power on DME pins:
                  27 Start Input
                  18 Un-switched Power input
                  37 Power Input from Main Relay

Ground on DME pins 2, 14, 19, 24

Timing data from the CPS on DME pins 47 & 48 from a rotating engine

To have spark power must be present at the coil positive and ground pulses
                  from the DME's pin 1 must reach the coil negative. Power to the coil is
                  controlled by the ignition switch via C101. When checking for spark, use the
                  output lead from the coil to eliminate the distributor, rotor and plug wires.

To have injector firing power must be present at each injector and ground
                  pulses from the DME's pin 16 (Bank1) and pin 17 (Bank2) must reach the
                  respective injector bank. Note that the injectors are wired as two banks of
                  three. With cylinder 1,3,5 being bank 1 and 2,4,6 being bank 2. Power to the
                  injectors is controlled by the main relay. Injector firing is best checked
                  with a noid light.

The fuel pump relay must have power on pin 86 (relay coil) from the main relay
                  output (pin 87) and power on pin 30. The DME will ground pin 85 to turn on the
                  relay and power the pump(s) via pin 87. Of the above, only the fuel pump power
                  is fused. So if the there's power at pin 87, but not at the pump, check fuse

The main relay and DME pin 18 receive power from the smaller of the to wires
                  that connect to the battery's positive terminal. That wire incorporates an
                  in-line fuse. When the DME is presented with a start signal, it grounds the
                  main relay pin 85 and furnishes power to the fuel pump relay, injectors, and
                  DME.

Troubleshooting:

Disconnect the battery and the DME cable. Then:

1) Disconnect the coil negative and check continuity from that connector to
                  DME pin 1. Also verify that from DME pin 1 to ground is an open circuit.

2) Check the resistance across DME 47 & 48, which should be 500-560 ohms. If
                  the CPS is dismounted, the resistance can be seen to change from about 500 to
                  540-560 ohms when a ferrous object is brought to the face of the
                  sensor. Neither pin should be grounded.

3) Check for continuity from DME 36 to main relay 85 and from DME 3 to fuel
                  pump relay 85.

Reconnect the coil, remount the CPS (air gap should be 1mm), plug the
                  relays back in, reconnect the DME, and connect the battery. Then do the
                  following checks:

1) With the key off, verify that power is present at DME pin 18 and main relay
                  86 & 30.

2) With the key on, verify that power is present at DME pin 27 and pin
                  18. Power to pin 18 is from the main relay and there should be power to the
                  injectors and fuel pump relay.

3) With the key on, verify that no voltage is present at the DME grounds (2,
                  14, 19, 24).

4) Verify that power is present at the coil positive and at fuel pump relay
                  pin 30. Those get switched power from the ignition switch via C101.

The engine will start and run (if poorly) with only those connections to the
                  DME in place. The other signals from Cylinder ID, AFM, temp sensor, etc., are
                  necessary for proper operation. But they won't prevent the engine from firing.

IMPORTANT:

A power check means seeing a voltage within about a tenth of a volt of what
                  you measure across the battery terminals, which should be at least 12.6v on a
                  charged battery.

A continuity check means seeing less that 1 ohm of resistance.

An open circuit means seeing a resistance of at least 100k ohms.

A good quality auto-ranging digital multimeter will make these tests much
                  easier.

Comment

1) Disconnect the coil negative and check continuity from that connector to
                    DME pin 1. Also verify that from DME pin 1 to ground is an open circuit.

2) Check the resistance across DME 47 & 48, which should be 500-560 ohms. If
                    the CPS is dismounted, the resistance can be seen to change from about 500 to
                    540-560 ohms when a ferrous object is brought to the face of the
                    sensor. Neither pin should be grounded.

DME 47 & 48 with the multimeter set to 2K reads .925

3) Check for continuity from DME 36 to main relay 85 and from DME 3 to fuel
                    pump relay 85.

DME 36 to Main Relay 85 = 0.00
                    DME 3 to Fuel Pump Relay = .001

Reconnect the coil, remount the CPS (air gap should be 1mm), plug the
                    relays back in, reconnect the DME, and connect the battery. Then do the
                    following checks:

1) With the key off, verify that power is present at DME pin 18 and main relay
                    86 & 30.

DME 18 = Yes
                    Main 86 & 30 = Yes

2) With the key on, verify that power is present at DME pin 27 and pin
                    18. Power to pin 18 is from the main relay and there should be power to the
                    injectors and fuel pump relay.

DME 27 = 5.45v
                    DME 18 = 12v

3) With the key on, verify that no voltage is present at the DME grounds (2,
                    14, 19, 24).

All Pins = No Voltage

4) Verify that power is present at the coil positive and at fuel pump relay
                    pin 30. Those get switched power from the ignition switch via C101.

+ Coil = 5.45v
                    Fuel Pump Relay 30 = 12v

I did not remove the CPS..I repalced it yesterday and had sooo much trouble I couldnt face it again...if it is critical I will do it tomorrow. I really appreciate the help...

Is the coil and DME 27 supposed to be so low?

Thanks
                    Bob
                    03 325xiT/5

Comment

DME 47 & 48 with the multimeter set to 2K reads .925
                      .925ohms? That would indicate a shorted connection. Disconnect the CPS from the harness and check the CPS. If you read 500-560 ohms there recheck at the DME connector. While I didn't specifically state it, the DME has to be disconnected for this and some of the other tests.
                      DME 27 = 5.45v
                      + Coil = 5.45v
                      Both of these are fed from the ignition switch. They pass through C101. Start tracing back toward the ignition switch to to find out what is causing the low voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                        .925ohms? That would indicate a shorted connection. Disconnect the CPS from the harness and check the CPS. If you read 500-560 ohms there recheck at the DME connector. While I didn't specifically state it, the DME has to be disconnected for this and some of the other tests.
                        I think that would be 925 ohms if its .925 on a 2k scale.

Comment

925 is still way out of spec, though.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks I will check it out....I also was thinking of what I have done to make it stop starting. I did remove the orange SRS box from behind the dash when I removed the airbag wheel. Could this have casued issues?

Thanks
                            03 325xiT/5

Comment

no, but it's possible you unplugged something else near it by mistake?
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X