Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it worth doing engine swap from m40 to m20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it worth doing engine swap from m40 to m20?

hi everyone,
    ive always loved my e30s and i finally just bought a 318i 2d 1989 and i absolutely love it !! the body is good, however in the future i would love a bit more power and i dont know if i should modify the m40 or is it easier to swap from the m40 to m20b25 and if so what is involved in doing so. I appreciate all comments
    Thanks

M30

Comment

the m50 is a better swap, if you want more power.
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Going from MXX to M20 is a waste of time when people are going from M20 to M30/50/52.

'Nuff said.
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

s62b50 or nothing.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

m10
            Originally posted by audiquattrot
            bimmers b4 b*tches....remember that.
            1990 Alpinweiss 325i - secret 500whp build
            2000 Audi S4 B5 Laser Red
            1990 Nissan 240sx - Drift Missile
            2006 CBR600RR

Comment

it depends entirely on what budget you have. If you have 2k and the time for an m50 swap, do it. Keep in mind that an m50 gives you ~20hp more than the m20. If you don't have the budget/time and m20 will be a direct drop in (with ecu and harness of course) and be a significant upgrade to the m40.
              stephenbrody.com

Comment

m50 is the best budget performance engine.

Comment

Go Brutus
                  Do u ever make a barbecue on a classic race car. I dont think so. Car engine is amazing and it burn the sausage fast.
                  Last edited by SkiFree; 08-30-2011, 01:56 PM.
                  ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I wouldn't do it.
                    They're about the same but the m42 gets better mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                      I wouldn't do it.
                      They're about the same but the m42 gets better mileage.
                      -------------------------------------------------
                      1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
                      2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                        s62b50 biturbo or nothing.

Comment

turbo m42 if you want power. If not get a euro s50b30. besides that your wasting time and money to go a little bit faster. I regret doing my m50 swap sure it's faster and more reliable but not worth all the effort or money in my opinion. Or you can always sell the 318 and buy a faster car...
                          Last edited by ill4noreason; 08-30-2011, 10:43 PM.
                          My Multi car part out. Need a part? Pm me...
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=193051

Need 24v swap parts? How about a LSD? Plastic Bumpers? Or anything else click here...
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215044

Have you done business with me? If so leave me feedback here...
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=188307

Comment

you guys can't read. he said M40, which is a terrible, horrible, awful engine. it's not anything like an M42. going from an M40B18 (or even worse, M40B16) to an M20B25 would be a huge improvement. Hell, going from an M40B18 to an M10 might be an improvement..

or I'll be like the rest of you morons. Go with an S85 V10 and turbo that with 4 garret ball bearing turbos. it makes more sense than spending $500 on an engine that makes nearly twice the power he has now and drops right in with no mods. Plus it makes even more power. Durr...

;)
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              you guys can't read. he said M40, which is a terrible, horrible, awful engine. it's not anything like an M42. going from an M40B18 (or even worse, M40B16) to an M20B25 would be a huge improvement. Hell, going from an M40B18 to an M10 might be an improvement..

or I'll be like the rest of you morons. Go with an S85 V10 and turbo that with 4 garret ball bearing turbos. it makes more sense than spending $500 on an engine that makes nearly twice the power he has now and drops right in with no mods. Plus it makes even more power. Durr...

;)
                              thank god for moderators who aren't retarded

Comment

Working...
                              X