What oil do YOU use?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • oxymoron
    replied
    olive oil

    Leave a comment:


  • 603Racing
    replied
    More good info. For us not-so-scientific, could it be said the higher Z and P levels might be a "side affect" of oils designed to have good lubrication properties and less of the detergents that might harm older motors?

    I know they're not there by accident, but more likely left there for processing reasons.

    Leave a comment:


  • dnguyen1963
    replied
    Originally posted by digger
    the issue is elemetal zinc and phosphorus by themself do not form ZDDP so its more complicated than just looking at the ppm of the elements but is better than nothing. Also too much is not a good thing apparently.



    http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...365&hilit=ZDDP
    If you want to fully understand what ZDDP is, look up this website.



    Elemental Zinc and Phosphorus do not offer any protection. They are most likely contaminants carried over from the refinery. Initially, many of the posts here suggested that zinc element is critical for anti-wear protection and I could not figure out the mechanism until I look up the info for ZDDP. It is actually the R groups of ZDDP that are responsible for the protection. The zinc in ZDDP helps raise the boiling temperature of ZDDP and; therefore, its anti-wear properties.

    Leave a comment:


  • straightsixe30
    replied
    10w-40 in summer, 10w-30 in winter, each time Valvoline non synthetic max life.

    Leave a comment:


  • 603Racing
    replied
    Originally posted by digger
    the issue is elemetal zinc and phosphorus by themself do not form ZDDP so its more complicated than just looking at the ppm of the elements but is better than nothing. Also too much is not a good thing apparently.



    http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...365&hilit=ZDDP
    Good info, i had not read that. I'll stop spouting "facts" about Z and P levels from lab test. :)

    I'll still use Brad Penn though, track tested by me, in my car, for a lots of damn miles on track.

    Leave a comment:


  • dannyyisntt
    replied
    Mobil 1 10w30 in the ix and undetermined in the 335i, but it will be something in the mobil 1 family

    Leave a comment:


  • Ayman
    replied
    Nutella?

    Leave a comment:


  • Jafxod
    replied
    Rotella

    Leave a comment:


  • 85e325
    replied
    Just switched to Mobil 1 15w50 with a fram extra gaurd filter. I'm interested to see if I can notice a difference from the Castrol syntheic blend 20w50

    Leave a comment:


  • stubble88
    replied
    just changed mine here in socal
    its been a little cold
    i start the e30 early in the morning, drive a very short distance to work. I dont think the car ever really gets warm.
    So after running kendall 20w-50 I switched to castrol 10w-40. added half a quart of lucas oil stbalizer for fun. Bosch filter

    Leave a comment:


  • digger
    replied
    Originally posted by dnguyen1963
    Ok, so it is not the zinc, but the zinc:detergent complex that offers anti-wear properties. These detergents needed to have counter ions and Ca2+, Mg2+ did not work well. Calcium and magnesium tend to form oxide crystals which can be really bad for an engine. The article did not provide any specific data on wear. I would be interested to see actual comparison between oil with and without zinc:detergent additive. How much more wear can one observe or measure without the use of additive? Is this a marketing scam to get us buying more expensive oil for a miniscule improvement in wear? I can see that race car drivers can benefit from the use of expensive oil, but for average drivers are we wasting money?
    the issue is elemetal zinc and phosphorus by themself do not form ZDDP so its more complicated than just looking at the ppm of the elements but is better than nothing. Also too much is not a good thing apparently.



    Last edited by digger; 12-02-2011, 02:39 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • ray325e
    replied
    castrol 15w-40

    Leave a comment:


  • illest318i
    replied
    Originally posted by HR2L
    This! VR-1 or Brad Penn 20w50 are great options. If I am desperate I will run Castrol High Mileage 20w50.



    Brad Penn 10w40 partial syn would be perfect for california all year round weather. I'm assuming this is an m10 1.8L k-jetronic out of 320i?
    Ughh actually it's a 318i

    Leave a comment:


  • HR2L
    replied
    Originally posted by MR 325
    20w50 is the BMW recommended weight for the M20 engine, period.

    I run Valvoline VR1 in the turbo car and Cheapo anything in the S50. :)
    This! VR-1 or Brad Penn 20w50 are great options. If I am desperate I will run Castrol High Mileage 20w50.


    Originally posted by illest318i
    What's good for an M10 motor and a good brand you guys recommend..
    Brad Penn 10w40 partial syn would be perfect for california all year round weather. I'm assuming this is an m10 1.8L k-jetronic out of 320i?
    Last edited by HR2L; 12-02-2011, 09:53 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • illest318i
    replied
    What's good for an M10 motor and a good brand you guys recommend..

    Leave a comment:

Working...