Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'87 iS WTF am i doing wrong

;)
    Last edited by B-well; 03-20-2012, 04:50 PM.

possible bent valve or other unrelated issue.

Needs more info, otherwise tis a shot in the dark.

Comment

Are these the sheet metal pullys that fail on early model m20s?

Comment

1 tooth probably didn't bend a valve, but a quick leakdown test would be worth it.

I'd look at the airbox and its connections next, just on the random list....

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
          1 tooth probably didn't bend a valve, but a quick leakdown test would be worth it.

I'd look at the airbox and its connections next, just on the random list....

t
          It idles fine now that the marks are lined up and only makes the horrible noise in throttle. Only touch the gas nothing wreck less.

Nothing to do with the air box. It's loud noises like piston to valve.

What are the chances that the timing gears themselves are tweaked or mis marked? Maybe the key or dowel is/are messed up

Comment

small. but you never know.

1 tooth off will not harm anything. the motor may have been 3 or 4 teeth off and they fixed it to 1 and sold the car.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

What kind of person rebuilds a motor and leaves a broken rotor sprocket?
              Have you pulled the valve cover and checked the valve clearance?
              Sorry I can't be of help, but when did you buy the car?
              --Will

Comment

Pull the valve cover off.. You most likely have a broken rocker
                "Do what you love, and love what you do" -Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by CarsSuck View Post
                  What kind of person rebuilds a motor and leaves a broken rotor sprocket?
                  Have you pulled the valve cover and checked the valve clearance?
                  Sorry I can't be of help, but when did you buy the car?
                  valve clearances are good

bought the car friday

rebuild motor with all recepits but kid couldnt get it to start
                  all new in box suspension components (billy sports and ie3 springs, front control arms, tie rods, sway links, rack bushings, trailing, sway and subframe bushings)
                  all new rotors and pads
                  all new wheel bearings
                  poly motor and diff mounts
                  new guibo
                  new clutch fw and pp
                  SS brake lines

3 DMEs
                  3 coils
                  2 sets of plugs
                  3 sets of injectors
                  2 AFMs
                  2 CPS's
                  2 caps and rotors
                  extra timing belt

extra PERFECT dash

konig 17s with new tires

all for $1k.

Spoiled rich kid couldnt figure out the no spark issue and had a hissy fit and sold it for pennys. i happen to see it and have my trailer hooked up and i bought it 30 minutes after he listed it on craigs

Originally posted by E30ruben View Post
                  Pull the valve cover off.. You most likely have a broken rocker
                  nope. all fresh rockers

my conclusion is that the head was milled and block decked thus the piston to valve clearance is to small. I'm purchasing the +0.3mm (2.05mm) head gasket and new head bolts today. will update when i install them.

A buddy of mine that races SE30 told me about the gasket and that he had to use it after rebuilding the motor several times. his problematic sound was similar to mine.
                  Last edited by B-well; 03-05-2012, 06:46 PM.

Comment

I would say that one or both of the head locating dowels are missing or that the head was over milled and valves are kissing pistons. But either of those conditions would make noise at idle. I have a suspicion that something more serious went wrong in the rebuild.

Do the receipts show the rebuild as being done by a shop, or are they only for parts?
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                      I would say that one or both of the head locating dowels are missing or that the head was over milled and valves are kissing pistons. But either of those conditions would make noise at idle. I have a suspicion that something more serious went wrong in the rebuild.

Do the receipts show the rebuild as being done by a shop, or are they only for parts?
                      rebuild was done at a very well known shop in my area that has done rebuilds for myself.

it does make a very faint noise at idle but much much worse in revs.

im going to purchase the 2.05mm gasket and see if thats all it needs. otherwise it may be time for a head that hasnt been milled

Comment

Looks like its time to do an m30 swap. See sig
                        Recent Rebranding!!
                        Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                        E30 SM62/S62
                        E30 M60 V8
                        E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                        Instagram.com/garageaholic
                        Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM E30 View Post
                          Looks like its time to do an m30 swap. See sig
                          Lol no thanks. Motor has less than 1minute total run time on a full rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by B-well View Post
                            rebuild was done at a very well known shop in my area that has done rebuilds for myself.
                            In that case I'd take the car back to them and have them sort it out.

it does make a very faint noise at idle but much much worse in revs.

im going to purchase the 2.05mm gasket and see if thats all it needs. otherwise it may be time for a head that hasnt been milled
                            You have to take an awful lot of the head to have the valves kiss the pistons if the cam is properly timed. The are cast in pockets in the head that are the machining limit. As long as any of those pockets are still visible the valves won't get too close to the pistons.

I routinely mill a race head down to the limit to gain a bit of compression ratio. That does affect cam timing and that error gets corrected by an offset bushing installed into the cam sprocket.
                            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

You might want to pull the harmonic balancer off and check the timing belt alignment on the sprocket itself instead of the balancer, I have seen some with the alignment pin sheered off. Worth a look before you pull the head. If it is lined up, I would pull the head and find all the bent valves ( normally exhaust ) and replace them. ;-)
                              sigpic
                              mods: just meat and potatoes under the hood and wheaties on fire out back ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X