Had to switch cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had to switch cams

Well my 274 cam is out now. I discovered that one of the oil feed holes for the cam/rocker shaft, and oiler bar was never drilled. 3/4 of the head was never getting any oil which caused my rocker shaft to become severly worn and 5 cam lobes to be destroyed.

I fixed the problem and went with a 325i cam. The runs great now. I like it better than before. Low end seems a little less torquey, but mid range and top end are improved. There is also no more hesitation from idle where before it generally "came on the cam" around 1700. Idles and drives nice and smooth. I also switched to a 173 ecu while my friend's car is down. I am very pleased with how its running now.

-im running m20b27 with ported eta cylinder head, dual valve springs, motronic 1.3 and all the parts from 89is. m50 17.5lb injectors, and no intake air box. (for those that dont know)
    Old and improved:

that sucks, but it sounds like it's running better now. maybe the 274 is a little much for an ETA head.

still need to get rid of this new 284 cam.. I want $200 for it but everyone here lowballs me :(
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
      still need to get rid of this new 284 cam.. I want $200 for it but everyone here lowballs me :(

What are the exact specs? My brother is looking for a cam. Split profile? lift?

Comment

glad you like that 173 ecu....haha

Mike Fritz

Comment

amazing how stock is so often better....
          BEERTECH

Comment

I would run a longer duration cam again, just not on the street. It sounded wild with the 274, lots of loping at idle, and a nice roar in higher rpms. Vacuum loss was minimal, but sometimes noticable in the city (brakes that is).

My car is still a freak, I am still getting around 28-30mpg. Yea mikey, I'm liking the 173 ecu out of your car. I think i'll keep it. Are you going to post those shifter pictures?
            Old and improved:

Comment

my noobdom is returning

what is 173 ecu?

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport
                I would run a longer duration cam again, just not on the street. It sounded wild with the 274, lots of loping at idle, and a nice roar in higher rpms. Vacuum loss was minimal, but sometimes noticable in the city (brakes that is).

My car is still a freak, I am still getting around 28-30mpg. Yea mikey, I'm liking the 173 ecu out of your car. I think i'll keep it. Are you going to post those shifter pictures?
                you are using an i head now right? stock E bottom end? I didn't really notice any vacuum loss, and my car idles smooth enough (there's a definite lope though!). but you couldn't force me to go back to the stock cam!
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                  you are using an i head now right? stock E bottom end? I didn't really notice any vacuum loss, and my car idles smooth enough (there's a definite lope though!). but you couldn't force me to go back to the stock cam!
                  I still have an e head, just have the ports opened up a bit. There is still a good bit to take out of the exhaust, and probably a little on the intake side. My vacuum dropped around 4 inches of Hg, which isnt too bad for that much duration considering my chevy only has 4 inches at idle. Perhaps the excessive friction from the oiling problem caused irregular running, and thats why it just didnt seem right to me.
                  Old and improved:

Comment

Working...
                  X