No announcement yet.

ETA won't idle, runs awful. **Video pg.2** FIXED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a used ICM this morning and plugged it in. The car shut off right away after the first attempt, then started up and idle fluctuated between 800-1500RPM for a while...eventually smoothing out. After about 3 minutes it just shut off.

I have gone through every single one of the Bentley tests, and went through jlevie's suggestions again. My next step is to pick up a new fuel pressure gauge in hopes that one of my pumps is bad and my current gauge is faulty.

**Edit: I just pulled my MAF and there is an insane amount of oil in the intake boot. Isn't this a sign of a vacuum leak? Where the hell else would I find one?**
    Last edited by BoxDriver86; 07-07-2012, 07:15 AM.

Comment

That honestly seems like ur gettin tons of blowby If that's alot of oil comin out of the intakr boot
      Have u checked compression wet? Or a leakdown test?

Comment

Compression is fine. I had a second smoke test run from another shop and found a crack in the intake manifold. I swapped out with another one and the car is running much better.

However, there is a lot of hesitation under acceleration and the idle isn't very smooth. I am certain there is another intake leak but the smoke test didn't show any other issues...

Comment

Cracked manifold! that'll do it. Put a shit load of Lucas fuel treatment in your tank- clears up my hesitation. Are you chipped? Perhaps a valve got too tight? Seriously , you can hear the suction of a small leak through a hose. The bottom of the folds in the intake elbow sometimes have cracks that are hard to see. Had a fairly new one once that was bad. I always inspect them closely now. Oxygen sensors only last so long. They just wear out.

Comment

The hesitation reminded me of when my last distributor cap failed. Since I had replaced it while I had the car apart I decided to swap back to the one I knew was fine. That fixed the hesitation while driving. Idle is still a little lumpy but at least the car is running well.

I finally got to drive the car to work this morning and all seems well. Fuel economy is a little low and the car idles rough on startup. Once it warms up, it's idling around 1500rpm. I don't think I messed with the ICV screw, but I am going to check it out at lunch.

Word to the wise: when you pay someone to do a smoke test, make sure they actually do it. There is no way that the first smoke test ran would have missed a cracked intake manifold. Also, even if you are 100% positive that you have no intake leaks do the smoke test anyway. jlevie always posts to tell us we need to check vacuum for 90% of the problems posted here. I kept writing it off since I was sure there was no vacuum issue. I was wrong. Sorry jlevie for cursing you under my breath, as usual you were right.

**Just got my money back from the first shop who ran the smoke test. They admitted they didn't do it correctly.
            Last edited by BoxDriver86; 07-10-2012, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X