Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HORRIFYING Repair Bill Moment of Truth Stories- WTF should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell the car as is for acouple hundred.
    Buy a 325i for the money you would have used for the repair.

1 you get a better car.
    2 the eta will have a second chance somewhere.

From what I've been reading this is your best option.

Comment

Originally posted by DaButt View Post
      I dunno, fellas.

There's a place here called Sports and Imports- but they are not listed in Bimmershops or BIMRS.org. Plus their BBB history is long and interesting.

it's tough find BMW shops this far South, I think. Everything is either A. Redneck B. Ghetto...

i mean I'll keep looking. Trust me, i don't WANT to pay that money.
      You've been told multiple times now that you DON'T need a "BMW" shop, but just any shop will do.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by DaButt View Post
        There's a place here called Sports and Imports- but they are not listed in Bimmershops or BIMRS.org.
        Keep in mind that people pay their way onto BIMRS.org, which is why I prefer Bimmershops. That said, my stepbrother has a very successful shop in CA and didn't get on Bimmershops until somewhat recently. My point being those can be good resources, though I don't think they're the best - especially if you're not in a larger city.

If the car runs and drives - and it sounds like it does - you could/should take it to ATL. What's the name of the shop there owned by fellow R3V'ers? Heritage Motorsports?

edit:
        Fellow R3V'er delatlanta1281
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

From my experience, shops use OEM parts at FULL retail to you. I went for an alignment and was told my swaybar bushings would be $60+ each...

Usually I just ignore their "recommendations" but with that I had to ask "wtf". The guy working at the tire shop basically told me they have to use all genuine parts in case anything breaks they're covered. Whether this is true or not I don't care, but it at least is an explanation for the utter rape on part prices. Needless to say, I went elsewhere to buy the bushings.

Don't forget labor rates being high either, shops have a lot of overhead and need to make money. There's nothing wrong with that but you can save a lot just doing work yourself if capable.

instagram: @tonerrrr
          High resolution E30 Fuse Box 300dpi PNG

Comment

Dude give me half of what they want to charge you. I will drive down there, fix your car, feed your dog, and bang your wife.

Comment

The average rate for a dealership is AT LEAST a hundred an hour. Any indy shop will be cheaper.
              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
              You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

dude ask an experienced r3ver to do it, m20's are cake to work on. i did a refresh on my eta w/ my dad about 3 years ago (started my engine repair habit). was our first time. took 2 weekends about about $800 in parts. did all seals and bearings. but man did it bring life back to the car and it really isn't that hard if you just follow the Bentley manual.
                1 do it yourself and gain knowledge or
                2 pay a r3v'er <$600 and they can do it.
                Much wow
                I hate 4 doors

Comment

Im 17 and did it myself. Im self taught and go on r3v WAY too much. Hell I swapped an engine on my own (granted it took me awhile)

Goto Sears, buy a 94 piece tool kit for $70 and get to work dude

Comment

Originally posted by E30Gus View Post
                    Dude give me half of what they want to charge you. I will drive down there, fix your car, feed your dog, and bang your wife.
                    I'd take this guys offer. This is value for money. :nice:

Comment

There is no r3v guys in GA that will help this guy? seriously. Buy the parts, pay someone on here $1000 to do it.

Done.

Comment

Headgasket on an M20....sheesh.

I'm with Nando. I'd just keep topping it off until oil spilled out as I poured it in.

Also, you're sure it's the HG?

I got my 91 sedan for $500 cause a shop doomed the HG. Chick didn't want to do the work. After towing it home, ordering a HG set, etc, etc I cleaned it up a bit, and started it.

Headgasket my ass. The half moons at the back of the head were leaking so badly. Replaced them, adjusted the valves, replaced timing belt, and I had a very nice e30 for under $800.
                        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by E30Gus View Post
                          Dude give me half of what they want to charge you. I will bang your wife.
                          Originally posted by ÜberslowETA View Post
                          I'd take this guys offer. This is value for money. :nice:

instagram: @tonerrrr
                          High resolution E30 Fuse Box 300dpi PNG

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                            Keep in mind that people pay their way onto BIMRS.org, which is why I prefer Bimmershops. That said, my stepbrother has a very successful shop in CA and didn't get on Bimmershops until somewhat recently. My point being those can be good resources, though I don't think they're the best - especially if you're not in a larger city.

If the car runs and drives - and it sounds like it does - you could/should take it to ATL. What's the name of the shop there owned by fellow R3V'ers? Heritage Motorsports?

edit:
                            Fellow R3V'er delatlanta1281
                            http://heritagemotorsports.us/contact/
                            Chris,

what shop does your brother own out of curiosity?

Comment

What should you do?

Expand your search for a reputable shop and take it to the closest one. One option that may not seem as obvious is a service station (gas station). You never know what prior history the techs there have. For example, there is a Citgo station near me and the main tech there is a very competent guy that worked at various dealers through the 70's and 80's including BMW, etc. It is a bit unusual when i drive past and he has a Ferrari on the lift, though.
                              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                                Chris,

what shop does your brother own out of curiosity?
                                Bavarian Performance in Santa Rosa.
                                Originally posted by kronus
                                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
                                X