Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HORRIFYING Repair Bill Moment of Truth Stories- WTF should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HA! That's why I love R3V.

So hateful, yet helpful and comforting. Well, I'm already out the $410 for the bell housing shit, I'm told them to do it.

And the head gasket is leaking from the Driver's perspective F/R. Up there by the distributor cap.

where do I source an OEM head gasket? Already bought a Reinz product... are they shitty?

And yeah, i'd be willing to pay a R3V member to help me out, absolutely. I've actually got a real guest bedroom.
    /______\_o_/______\
    l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
    \ #___======___# /
    |__/-------------\__|

"Took me an hour to do this..."

took me like three seconds to copy/paste it- FOR SCIENCE!!

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

If its drivable, drive your happy ass to Atlanta. I know for a fact that there are a lot of shops in the area. I used to live in Columbus and its really not that far away. That is if you're dead set on a shop doing it.
      "Broke into the wrong God damn rec room, didn't ya you bastard!"

Comment

Might not be headgasket.. but the cam timing wheel seal thing

Comment

I can understand if you have zero mechanical inclination. It's not everyones thing.

But, if you do, all of this will take less than a day... You have to do the timing belt when you do the headgasket, and all in all will cost less than $250.

Headgasket is $100, and a FULL contitech timing belt kit w/water pump and thermostat is $115.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by DaButt View Post

So hateful, yet helpful and comforting. Well, I'm already out the $410 for the bell housing shit, I'm told them to do it.

And the head gasket is leaking from the Driver's perspective F/R. Up there by the distributor cap.

where do I source an OEM head gasket? Already bought a Reinz product... are they shitty?

And yeah, i'd be willing to pay a R3V member to help me out, absolutely. I've actually got a real guest bedroom.
            dude, just leave it alone. it's fine. 99% of M20s leak from there. not worth the hassle over an '84 eta motor.

most likely you could spend $500+ replacing the gasket, and it will end up leaking from the same place anyway.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Sell your 84' eta, and buy a 325i/is.

I sold my automatic eta and bought a late model 5 speed 325is and holy shit, my life has changed for the better.
              sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
              1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
              1991 318is - Sold
              1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                most likely you could spend $500+ replacing the gasket, and it will end up leaking from the same place anyway.
                This... Ask me how I know

Comment

yeah, VR gaskets are not good. People use 'em because they're twice as cheap as OEM ones and widely available.

Also, a lot of M20s leak from there. How much is it leaking? A few drops after some hours, or a fair bit?
                  cars beep boop

Comment

It's leaking a lot.

When I stop, I can see the drips forming a puddle. it blows back and generally A. Burns on my exhaust, if i'm driving or B. drips from the bellhousing or exhaust if i just parked.

I add probably a 1/2 quart a week.

Oh, and my expansion tank has oil in it. stuck my finger in there and it came out black.
                    /______\_o_/______\
                    l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                    \ #___======___# /
                    |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

stuck my finger in there and it came out black.
                      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Thats not headgasket BTW my head cracked and pissed oil into the expansion tank u need a new head

Comment

Originally posted by Bretts85E30 View Post
                          Thats not headgasket BTW my head cracked and pissed oil into the expansion tank u need a new head
                          You sure? Any diagnostics I can run to verify that? I figure a stealership is going to go 'doomsday' as often as possible.

could be a good reason to go "e to i" if it is the head.
                          /______\_o_/______\
                          l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                          \ #___======___# /
                          |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Just pull off the valve cover and inspect for a crack under the cam my crack was 5inches long my suggestion just get an I head and do the stroker

Comment

Columbus isn't that far from Atlanta, where there are several excellent BMW idie shops. Drive the car up and leave it and fly or take a bus back to Columbus. In week or two you can go back up and pick it up. I recommend Harrison Motorsports.

Once out of warranty a newer BMW needs $1500-2000 (in parts & labor) spent on it per year to keep it up. An E30 is simpler and needs a bit less, perhaps half that. But if neglected the bill eventually comes due. I'll bet that you 84 needs a lot more spent on it to make it right than this repair estimate. And those kind of numbers aren't limited to BMW's. Most any make has similar needs, it is just that most of the time car gets scrapped before the bill can't be ignored.
                              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                                Columbus isn't that far from Atlanta, where there are several excellent BMW idie shops. Drive the car up and leave it and fly or take a bus back to Columbus. In week or two you can go back up and pick it up. I recommend Harrison Motorsports.

Once out of warranty a newer BMW needs $1500-2000 (in parts & labor) spent on it per year to keep it up. An E30 is simpler and needs a bit less, perhaps half that. But if neglected the bill eventually comes due. I'll bet that you 84 needs a lot more spent on it to make it right than this repair estimate. And those kind of numbers aren't limited to BMW's. Most any make has similar needs, it is just that most of the time car gets scrapped before the bill can't be ignored.
                                Everything this ^ guy says is gospel truth.

Thanks R3V- I'm determined not get polerailed by the dealer...

Now, who wants to take a road trip this weekend and help me get to it?

I already have a Reinz gasket set, so I'll ask again, where do I source OEM HG Sets?
                                /______\_o_/______\
                                l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                                \ #___======___# /
                                |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Working...
                                X