Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HORRIFYING Repair Bill Moment of Truth Stories- WTF should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
    i'm pretty sure i could knock out a HG with a pair of vicegrips. but really, you need 8, 10, 12, 13, 17, and 19mm sockets, a small extension and ratchet/torque wrench.

hear these words, for the hundredth time; YOU DON'T NEED A BMW SHOP.

i'm positive any shop with a couple old guys that have a few old VWs outside will be able to do the work for a fraction of your dealership price.

stop playing victim. it's your own fault you committed to $400 sensors. i would have sent you some from my old e->i swap for the cost of shipping. the fact that you took it to the dealer means you haven't been paying attention to anything on this forum. take it to xyz shops, get some quotes, take the cheapest/one you feel most comfortable with.

or pay me $1k and i'll fly out with my tools, knock out your HG in a few hours and fly home.

Uhhh.

Yes, sir?

I TOWED MY VEHICLE SOMEWHERE ELSE.

THAT MEANS AWAY FROM THE DEALERSHIP- AND I DID NOT TOW IT TO A BMW SHOP.

I DIDN'T PAY $400 FOR SENSORS, BECAUSE I TOWED MY VEHICLE SOMEWHERE ELSE.

The fact that you sling shit about "not reading" on this forum comes right back at ya, bud.

If you'd read my last post you'd see I'm not playing victim, I found a fucking solution- one that's slightly better than- "just do it even though you've never done it! you've got a bentley! if you break it just buy a new car! NO BALLS!"

Thanks for the sermon but, goddamn, I'm just trying to get some advice, i'm not asking you to rent me shoes, get me a fucking beer. I'm not taking your fucking turn, dude. Fucking show dog. With Papers.
    /______\_o_/______\
    l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
    \ #___======___# /
    |__/-------------\__|

"Took me an hour to do this..."

took me like three seconds to copy/paste it- FOR SCIENCE!!

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

MODS- if you want, you can delete this thread. I'm straight.
      /______\_o_/______\
      l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
      \ #___======___# /
      |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Deleting threads isn't normally how forums work, bronando.

If you wanna keep stirring them drama llamas though, just keep bumping the thread every couple hours.
        '87 325is - Schwarz/Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
          i'm pretty sure i could knock out a HG with a pair of vicegrips. but really, you need 8, 10, 12, 13, 17, and 19mm sockets, a small extension and ratchet/torque wrench.
          You also need a set of e-torx for head/cam bolts, feeler gauges for valve adjustment, 22mm to turn the motor over, deep sockets, 13/16 spark plug socket etc. :P

OP, make sure they upgrade the head bolts. If they are hex bolts, you will have issues, specially since a lot of shop cuts corners and reuse them. Those bolts were recalled by BMW and had a TSB back in the day to replace with the e-torx bolts that don't require heat cycling and re-torquing.

Also request they they DON'T use Victor Reinz gaskets and seals. The Elring stuff is slightly more, but BMW/goetze are best, but Elring will suffice.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            You also need a set of e-torx for head/cam bolts, feeler gauges for valve adjustment, 22mm to turn the motor over, deep sockets, 13/16 spark plug socket etc. :P

OP, make sure they upgrade the head bolts. If they are hex bolts, you will have issues, specially since a lot of shop cuts corners and reuse them. Those bolts were recalled by BMW and had a TSB back in the day to replace with the e-torx bolts that don't require heat cycling and re-torquing.

Also request they they DON'T use Victor Reinz gaskets and seals. The Elring stuff is slightly more, but BMW/goetze are best, but Elring will suffice.
            Thanks John.

So they need to use eTorx bolts. EDIT* would the standard bolts i order from Bavauto or something be e Torx? Or will they actually say "torx" somewhere in the product description?

And the guy i spoke with said their MO is to use Felpro (?)- never heard of it, but assured me they would get BMW sealing products.
            /______\_o_/______\
            l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
            \ #___======___# /
            |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Well they will have a funny looking top on them, not your standard 6-point bolt. If you order new, then you will be fine since they are all updated as of 1987 iirc lol.

Also, Elring and Fel-Pro are both made by Federal Mogul, but the Fel-Pro name costs a little more, actually.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                you forgot 3mm allen for the distributor cap and to turn the eccentrics then too :P

you get my drift though. household tools.
                1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                1974 2002tii / stock
                2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Working...
                X