Let's see how much m20 heads suck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    The cam profiles would be a major limiting factor there.
    i would think the eta cam would be better for lowend, not midrange though
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I'd love to see what an MM/Korman head/mani combo looks like on your bench - sorry I don't have $5k to pick one up and send it your way for examination.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
      Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
        I'd love to see what an MM/Korman head/mani combo looks like on your bench - sorry I don't have $5k to pick one up and send it your way for examination.
        probably not as good as you might expect;)
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

so FF, the i cam w the eta ported intake on a 885 head? I forget, the runners are longer on the eta intake right? im curious why you say the Super eta intake is junk. Wouldnt it be an in between intake? Not a big as i and not as long as e. Therefore a good compromise on air velocity and volume?

I really wanna see #s on this stuff.
          Now with 2.7i power!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaE View Post
            so FF, the i cam w the eta ported intake on a 885 head? I forget, the runners are longer on the eta intake right? im curious why you say the Super eta intake is junk. Wouldnt it be an in between intake? Not a big as i and not as long as e. Therefore a good compromise on air velocity and volume?

I really wanna see #s on this stuff.

I posted numbers ;)

The seta manifold flowed worse than the eta, proved it on my flow bench. The eta manifold barely flowed worse than an "i" manifold, almost dead even with an "i" throttle body (both on 885 heads).

Digger, I meant that the "i" cam would be a limiting factor on getting the b25 to see b27 torque.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

i ment #s for the seta head, but then i saw the link to your site... thanks

What was done to the e mani to get it to flow as well? the pdf on your website shows drastic differences in flow from e to i. Is that w the i tb and ported to match a 885 head?

is there way to get the air velocities along w the cfm? how big a differnece does velocity make? CFM if per minute right? so a minute is a minute. if it flows more PER minute than thats more right? Does it make a difference in relation to valve lift and the cam lobes design? or is it a total design of head and manis that work together to create a system that achievs a sum cfm greater then the individual peices, due to the velocity that actually creates/enables greater air movement? Basically why is velocity important?
              sorry if these are lame questions..
              Now with 2.7i power!!!

Comment

Been watching this thread and found it interesting. I have always looked forward to seeing Forced Firebird's opinion on engine stuff. Seen him on a few of the firebird forums I go to.

Got to thinking of the flows and velocities and it reminded me of one of the systems on an aircraft model I work. It uses cabin pressurization exiting the aircraft to cool components. Problem is as the velocity of the air approaches Mach, it creates a back pressure and loss of cooling effect. So a restriction had to be put into the tubing to suppress the flow to sub-Mach speeds.

This may have some of the same principles with a balance of volume of flow and the velocity of the flow through the manifold and head.
                sigpic
                2006 330i 6 Spd Man, ZSP, CA, SG, Black ette, Burl, Sat Prep.
                ED 29 May 2006
                1990 325i, 5spd, Calypso Red, Tan

Comment

CHECK THIS OUT!

Advanced Tech - CFM vs Velocity when porting heads - Ok my friend and I are figuring out some head porting techniques. He's been porting for awhile but its learning more all the time.. Anyways he bought some pedo tubes to measure velocity and a flow bench to measure cfm. Here are what my moderately ported heads looked...

very interesting!
                  Now with 2.7i power!!!

Comment

this shows an example of the recommended port size to attain the best airspeed as measured on flow bench @ 28" to target a specific goal

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      Leave the heads and manifolds alone, all the "ported" stuff we tested either was same as stock or worse. Even if your "ported" head flows the same as stock, you are ruining velocity.
                      And to think I was attacked for asking someone on these forums for flow bench numbers on their head.
                      No E30 Club
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

You can't port a head and expect solid results unless you have access to a flow bench.

Will be posting numbers here shortly, but we have gained as much as 20CFM in a few high lift areas. It's getting interesting now. 17 flow tests with removing material in between and flowing for results.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

Here you see real numbers and percent of gain over stock.

john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Interesting numbers. How do you think extrude honing the intake and the ports would effect the numbers, being the runners and ports would be so smooth.
                            sigpic
                            ED 29 May 2006

Comment

I have said it before. For now, the manifold already flows more than needed and any change to the manifold did not help flow at the valve. The valve/bowl is the restriction in a stock m20 setup. A few more CFM and the valve coefficient will be reached.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:

Comment

I have said it before. For now, the manifold already flows more than needed and any change to the manifold did not help flow at the valve. The valve/bowl is the restriction in a stock m20 setup. A few more CFM and the valve coefficient will be reached
                                Duh, went back and reread. Must have misconstrued something. Sorry about that.
                                sigpic
                                ED 29 May 2006

Comment

Working...
                                X