M20 Camshaft Removal (Update)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 Camshaft Removal (Update)

Decided I didnt want to spend the $1500 to get my cam put in since I'm only 17 and dont have that kind of money haha so after 3 days this is where I'm at. Everything has been relatively easy with no problems what so ever. Just slid the cam out today so the new 272 goes in tomorrow!

link doesnt work. but good job on the DIY

7speedshop.com

Comment

Installing the new cam will be a bit more difficult than removal. You'll be applying more and more tension on the cam as you install each rocker arm. Just take your time and check that each rocker is in the right location as you turn the cam over.

Do a valve adjustment after your done. It is a lot more comfortable with the head outside of the car. I made marks with a sharpy on the head after a valve was adjusted. I did two passes.
      1986 911 Supercharged Frakenstrat/Stripped
      1987 325is Delphin/Black (Olga)
      1988 M3 Zinno/Natur (Elsa)

Manual or STFU

E30 Chapter of BMW Car Club of America
      E30 Oktoberfest 2017

Comment

Read up on breaking in cams, don't remember if this was a new one but still wouldn't hurt to break it in like one. ;)
        My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
        4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by enigmaticdream View Post
          Installing the new cam will be a bit more difficult than removal. You'll be applying more and more tension on the cam as you install each rocker arm. Just take your time and check that each rocker is in the right location as you turn the cam over.

Do a valve adjustment after your done. It is a lot more comfortable with the head outside of the car. I made marks with a sharpy on the head after a valve was adjusted. I did two passes.
          If the procedure is done properly, it's not difficult at all. I can't stand it when heads come in the shop that someone previously hammered on the rocker shafts. Even the Bently says to tap them out, when all you really have to do is remove the eccentrics.

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
          Read up on breaking in cams, don't remember if this was a new one but still wouldn't hurt to break it in like one. ;-)

It's also a good idea NOT to use old rockers on a new cam, and make sure you are using oil with enough ZDDP.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            If the procedure is done properly, it's not difficult at all. I can't stand it when heads come in the shop that someone previously hammered on the rocker shafts. Even the Bently says to tap them out, when all you really have to do is remove the eccentrics.

It's also a good idea NOT to use old rockers on a new cam, and make sure you are using oil with enough ZDDP.
            I didn't think to remove the eccentrics. I herp and derp a lot though. Would have made trying to keep everything aligned and lubed a lot easier...

Another thing OP make sure you get assembly lube.
            1986 911 Supercharged Frakenstrat/Stripped
            1987 325is Delphin/Black (Olga)
            1988 M3 Zinno/Natur (Elsa)

Manual or STFU

E30 Chapter of BMW Car Club of America
            E30 Oktoberfest 2017

Comment

interesting header.
              sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
              The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Get ZDP addittive and break her in
                ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

Shouldn't your o2 or wideband be installed at the collector down below?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                    Shouldn't your o2 or wideband be installed at the collector down below?
                    Yes it should be located at a point where it can see the exhaust from all six tubes.
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      ... and make sure you are using oil with enough ZDDP.
                      John, can you suggest a good source for ZDDP additive ?

TIA
                      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Yes, that would be much appreciated if you could let me know that.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing when my exhaust shop put them on....

Comment

Working...
                          X