Correct valve clearance m20. Solution to ticking e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hasback View Post
    I understand it's purpose I just feel it wouldn't entirely take out all the judgment. But okay, so you keep turning eccentric til the spring tool bends to a 45 degrees angle. Sounds good
    No you don't turn the eccentric till the tool bends, you bend the tool, it turns the eccentric. It completely removes judgement, there's only so much pressure the spring can put on the feeler gauge no matter how much you bend it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Thanks for this post

I want to thank the OP and all contributors to this post, for the suggestions and information. I recently purchased a 1991 325ix with 128,000 mostly BMW dealer serviced miles. Since 2010, a second, third and fourth owner since the original, and from what I can tell well over the last 30,000 miles, the valves had not been adjusted. They were tapping and noisy, driving me crazy. I decided to set the intake and exhaust to .009 clearance without the spring tool, rather just by feel - the way my Dad taught me to do years ago. As soon as I inserted the feeler guage under the rocker, I knew the clearances needed to be adjusted, as the gaps were way to large. Not only is the tapping gone, but the engine starts easier / sooner from cranking, idles smoother, and revs up to redline just as smooth as silk. The longevity of the M20 delivers again, runs like new!
      Thanks for your help!!

Comment

Good to hear Jimsbim.

Comment

Has anyone experienced temp anomalies after doing this? Like temp spikes under load, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by h17m4n View Post
            Has anyone experienced temp anomalies after doing this? Like temp spikes under load, etc...
            No, something else is going on.

Might want to start a thread with your issue.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I have already.... Clutching at straws at this point

Comment

Great thread! I'm ordering the spring tool tomorrow and will be doing this sometime this week. The valve cover has been seeping for a while and the valves sound like a drum corp so it's time to tighten this up.

Does having a Schrick 284/272 cam make a difference at all? I'm planning on refreshing the valve train next winter so I'll be replacing worn components then (unless something is really whacked out)
                09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
                05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
                87 BMW 325is
                a few bicycles

Comment

I am about to adjust my valves this weekend and have a new gasket and rocker shaft plugs ready to go. One question tho... when replacing the rocker shaft plugs do I need to put silicone on them? If so, what is the best sealant to use? Thanks

Comment

I didn't use any when I rebuilt my head.
                    '87 5-speed 325is
                    The best $750 I ever spent!

Are you in Michigan?
                    Do you want to know where all the E30's are?
                    Try checking out the Michigan E30 Map

Comment

Yes just wipe a bit of permatex along ig

Comment

I haven't had to adjust my valve clearance in the two years I've had it. Is the tool being talked about the one on Pelican from SIR tools, TOL-3013?

Is there other places that sell/make this?
                        Estoguy
                        1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Got mine from Bavauto.

Comment

Yes, that's the right tool. When I was shopping I couldn't find it anywhere but Pelican.
                            '87 5-speed 325is
                            The best $750 I ever spent!

Are you in Michigan?
                            Do you want to know where all the E30's are?
                            Try checking out the Michigan E30 Map

Comment

sorry to revive an old thread, but what do you guys recommend adjust at the cams or valve stems? My car has over 200k miles and is ticking at .010, what should I adjust it too?

Comment

The only point of adjustment is at the eccentric. You can do band-aid fixes like shimming or running oversize eccentrics but chances are you've got some worn rockers, eccentrics, and/or cam.
                                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Working...
                                X