No announcement yet.

300whp NA m20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A genuine 350bhp is probably possible in theory but you'd be on the limit of what is possible due to the limitations of the available valve area. there would be massive change required to the head probably lots of welding and epoxying to do...then many hrs on the bench and lots of $$$ in the valve train.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

why must you stop at 12:1 compression? in theory big block chevys and stuff run upto 16:1 so wouldn't 14:1 compression be possible? obviously you would have to run a redicouls race gas but just for the sake of conversation.

Comment

Key words. Big block chevy....

Comment

Originally posted by Chriskbmx View Post
          why must you stop at 12:1 compression? in theory big block chevys and stuff run upto 16:1 so wouldn't 14:1 compression be possible? obviously you would have to run a redicouls race gas but just for the sake of conversation.
          its hard to achieve those levels of compression on the M20 with its hemi chamber design without hurting the chamber by impeding the flame front.

BBC and SBC often have massive cubic inches for each cylinder and small closed chamber aftermarket heads.

Not to mention that compression doesn't gain that much when you start getting up there, it is not what is going to limit the M20. The valve area of the head governs mass flow potential and hence hp potential
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

yeah thats kinda what i assumed. so the only way to get any kind of insane horsepower is to almost R&D and make new heads for the m20.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
              ...and lots of $$$ in the valve train.
              The head with larger valves will be fine, high RPM flow is easy on the m20 port shape, so is large lift. But try and using a reverse lobe cam on the rockers and there will be fireworks under your valve cover.

M20 rocker shaft in a small cast boss is not intended for high stress. Welded several heads that broke them when the timing belt snapped.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Yea but BMW already did that in the 90's. It was called the s50b32
                1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

facepalm and lol at this thread
                  my build here ---> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=lemans+blue

Comment

I want some pizza now...

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by bmw325csi View Post
                      the way I see it, your only real option is a euro s5x if you want 300 hp of N/A power.
                      Pointless when s54 is usa and A decade newer at 333hp

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
                      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

at 300rwhp street NA m20. It is extremely expensive to do that with an S52, which has the displacement and flow benefits the M20 doesn't.
                        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Typical r3v....
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Oh, and for the record, I love m20's. They are like the iron v8's in the domestic market. Cheap, over built and make good power for the size/displacement.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:

Comment

Hmmm this sounds fun.
                              Hmmm I have a small fortune and I am bored. Ill have to contemplate this.
                              Buy 300who M20 or Unicorn.........................
                              (contemplation)
                              Im going with Unicorn as they are on stock on amazon at this time
                              sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                              The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                                Oh, and for the record, I love m20's. They are like the iron v8's in the domestic market. Cheap, over built and make good power for the size/displacement.

So true john, although don't leave out m20's big block brother m30!

Go back in time and think about it, mid 1980's, 2.5 liters, passes emissions with no egr system, and makes 170hp.

Pretty damn impressive when 5.0 liter mustangs were 225 hp at the time.
                                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X