Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak Cranking Power

Hey guys,
    Been hunting down why my car won't even start and just noticed my car is really weak cranking power. When I start the car, it would crank for about 1/2 a rotation and then stops with clicking sounds. I double checked the battery for power and tested good, also tried another good battery but it still won't start. What else can cause a car to have low cranking power? Alternator grounding cable a probable cause?

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
    My expectation is an immediate 5 speed swap. Autos suck more than a 50 year old whore.

Chassis grounding cables. Engine, and battery.
    Smaller likelihood it's the positive cable.

The alternator does not help with cranking ;)

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

I'll double check the ground cable but it is new.

My expectation is an immediate 5 speed swap. Autos suck more than a 50 year old whore.

Comment

Starter?
        M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
          Starter?
          Isn't this the oblivious answer?
          harry/harout

Comment

Oblivious or Obvious?

Comment

Originally posted by bmw325csi View Post
              Isn't this the oblivious answer?
              Haha thats what I'm saying
              M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Battery is bad

Comment

Update: Thanks for the input guys. Battery was fine, starter was fine. It was my ground cable from engine to chassis. Although it is only a few months old, it developed a lot of resistance for some reason.

Comment

Awesome! This is a good way to test as well

Did you also clean up (with a scotch pad) the mating surfaces of the ground cable? If there is a layer of rust it will have resistance. I usually coat the surfaces with a bit of dialectric grease.

H&R OE Sport Springs - Bilstein HD's - Kosei K1's ET27 - Toyo R888 - ZHP 5spd knob - BavAuto strut bar - DINAN Chip - E30 M3 Offset Bushings - Colgan bra - P-car daily

Comment

Wow that is a great way to test. I did not put any diaelectric grease because I'll be pulling the motor for a rebuild in less than 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by K1CKBAC View Post
                        Wow that is a great way to test. I did not put any diaelectric grease because I'll be pulling the motor for a rebuild in less than 2 months.
                        Cool, just don't cake it up and make sure the pressure from the ground strap squeezes most of it out.

H&R OE Sport Springs - Bilstein HD's - Kosei K1's ET27 - Toyo R888 - ZHP 5spd knob - BavAuto strut bar - DINAN Chip - E30 M3 Offset Bushings - Colgan bra - P-car daily

Comment

Be sure to clean the surface of both the oil pan bolt and frame rail stud. I use a wire brush attachment on a air tool. You want nice clean shiny metal. Then secure the ground cable well.

Also do this to the mounting points when installing a new starter or alternator.
                          Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                          BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                          www.BavRest.com
                          My Feedback Thread
                          Our Facebook!
                          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
                          X