Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A 24-valve M20

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A 24-valve M20

    Interesting read on the elusive 24 valve m20 head.

    “A 24-valve M20
    230 HP 3-series
    And soon it could be all yours.”


    http://myndasafn.bmwkraftur.is/d/55691-1/callaway.pdf

    #2
    This makes two the people who attempted the 24 valve m20, Callaway and Racing Dynamics, I wonder if it was the same design. Interestingly Callaway had it in a m20, test drove it with very impressive #s, they were ready to market it and go into full production .

    Comment


      #3
      Wow, really makes you wonder why this project was never completed...It would be amazing to have a 24V m20 making that kind of power. That is way ahead of it's time.

      FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
      Originally posted by scabzzzz
      I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
      1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
      2002 325i - DD
      2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

      Comment


        #4
        very cool writeup

        Comment


          #5
          When I read the article I was surprised too. I know in this time and age engine developments has grown by leaps and bounds but I would really like to know if there is anyway Callway Cars can give more insight on these project. I know a lot of people say "just get a m5x", but these quest is just to see at which level this development got to.
          Last edited by gath; 03-06-2013, 07:01 PM.

          Comment


            #6
            Awesome read, such an awesome writing style.

            Originally posted by gtdragon980 View Post
            Wow, really makes you wonder why this project was never completed...It would be amazing to have a 24V m20 making that kind of power. That is way ahead of it's time.
            haha, that's because the M50NV is a 24v M20

            91 318i | 87 535iS

            Comment


              #7
              My father consulted on this project before it was binned in anticipation of the M50. There's something very cool about these, just like the AC Schnitzer 16V M10 heads.
              Current: Brilliantrot '91 318is M20B25
              Former: '88 M3 3.2L, '91 318is 2.0L, '90 318i, '85 325e 2.8L, '84 318i 2.0L, '84 318i, '90 325is
              wamchenry@gmail.com
              insta: @simple_machines

              Comment


                #8
                That's pretty amazing that they made a prototype so far back but were unable to bring it to market. If the guy drove a prototype in 1984, then it predated the release of the M50 by around what, 5 years?

                Originally posted by whysimon
                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by FredK View Post
                  That's pretty amazing that they made a prototype so far back but were unable to bring it to market. If the guy drove a prototype in 1984, then it predated the release of the M50 by around what, 5 years?
                  You know it's interesting that prior to that point BMW themselves only made one DOHC motor, and that was the big six M88 (as far as I know). Hell the S38 wasn't even produced until what, '86?

                  Seeing what BMW was achieving with the M88 with 3.5L and what the Quadros project was doing with only 2.3L, I wonder if BMW simply bought the technology from Callaway. Not saying that BMW couldn't do it themselves (of course they could). But maybe a Quadros purchase was a sound, cost effective move toward the later m50 motor. Maybe even a PR move. I wonder if it would have been a big deal for dohc m20 e30's to be on the roads a good 4 or 5 years before BMW came out with their m50 in the then new 3 series.

                  Hell, you m5x guys might just be running around in finalized and toned down versions of the Quadros m20. You never know.
                  E30 Dinan Turbo

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by bimma360 View Post
                    You know it's interesting that prior to that point BMW themselves only made one DOHC motor, and that was the big six M88 (as far as I know). Hell the S38 wasn't even produced until what, '86?

                    Seeing what BMW was achieving with the M88 with 3.5L and what the Quadros project was doing with only 2.3L, I wonder if BMW simply bought the technology from Callaway. Not saying that BMW couldn't do it themselves (of course they could). But maybe a Quadros purchase was a sound, cost effective move toward the later m50 motor. Maybe even a PR move. I wonder if it would have been a big deal for dohc m20 e30's to be on the roads a good 4 or 5 years before BMW came out with their m50 in the then new 3 series.

                    Hell, you m5x guys might just be running around in finalized and toned down versions of the Quadros m20. You never know.
                    This makes a lot of sense. As I was reading the article I was thinking the same thing as everyone else..."a drop in head for M5x performance...PayPal ready". As cool as I am to the idea of replacing a perfectly good low mileage M20 engine, Im a little less cool today after reading this.
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

                    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

                    Comment


                      #11
                      BMW had been building high-performance 4-valve heads for years; there's no reason to think that they acquired this technology from an American tuner.

                      The cam drive is quite different as well. Somewhere I have pictures of this head, I need to find them.
                      Current: Brilliantrot '91 318is M20B25
                      Former: '88 M3 3.2L, '91 318is 2.0L, '90 318i, '85 325e 2.8L, '84 318i 2.0L, '84 318i, '90 325is
                      wamchenry@gmail.com
                      insta: @simple_machines

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I know an m50 is basically a DOHC m20, but the power figures they were making out of a little 2.3l is what really impresses me. I would rather spend swap money on that head to throw on an m20 rather than going the m50 route. But that's just me! Hell, they were making 2jz-ge power in the 80's!

                        Edit: or was it the 90's when they were developing it?

                        FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                        Originally posted by scabzzzz
                        I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                        1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                        2002 325i - DD
                        2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

                        Comment


                          #13
                          24v M20 is just more valves to slam into pistons when that belt brakes.

                          That is all.

                          Still, pretty neato stuff.

                          ;)
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                            24v M20 is just more valves to slam into pistons when that belt brakes.

                            That is all.

                            Still, pretty neato stuff.

                            ;)
                            Before I opened this thread, I thought you would make some type of reference to an M30 or how terrible the M20 is. Looks like I was almost correct. lol
                            1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                            2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                            2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by redsubdivisions View Post
                              Before I opened this thread, I thought you would make some type of reference to an M30 or how terrible the M20 is. Looks like I was almost correct. lol
                              :D

                              He he he!

                              But sill, M20 24v would be pretty badass. I love M12/13s.
                              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X